Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ABS/ESP BAS lights

Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/ESP BAS lights

I was driving along the other day and heard that dreaded 'ding' noise. I looked at the instrument panel and my ABS light had come on, as well as the ESP/BAS light. The weird part is that they'll shut off at random times and give me some relief, then a few seconds later they come back on. Also, for the past 3 days when I cold start my jeep and let it warm up, I start driving and the left front brake seems to be activating itself randomly while I'm rolling along. It usually stops before I get to any main roads but when it happens it pulls me to the left and bogs me down in second gear. I'm assuming that has something to do with the ABS light. Also, not sure what the ESP/BAS light means. Any input I appreciated, thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Is your steering wheel straight?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah the wheel is straight, it just started doing it a few days ago. It does it only after I start driving after its been turned off for a little while. An it only locks one wheel, it's starting to get really sketchy
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scan the system with the key, accessory on, off, on, off, on, off then your dash should have lines on it then either say done or give you a code.

I bet it will give you a code for a wheel speed sensor, probably the front one that is giving you the problems.

You might need a new sensor, which isnt too much $ from the right place. Or i have a front and rear new in box from the dealer.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen to my 08x it was a bad speed sensor. Mud had messed it up. Thats why my 13JKR is never going in mud EVER.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

x2, on the wheels sensor. Had that happen to my '08 JKU. Fortunately at the time it was covered under warranty...

Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks a lot guys, had an appointment at the dealer for 9am today. Now I can cancel it and just replace the sensor. I only needed the dealer to get the abs code but I'll try that thing with the key. Thanks again

Quick Reply: ABS/ESP BAS lights