Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well mine has no codes. I plugged in the scanner, and nothing. The ABS, and Traction Control don't work. The brake lock diff doesn't work either. I tried all three on the ice in the alley in back of the house. I am very disappointed with this JK right now. My oldest son told me that he wanted a Wrangler, but didn't buy one when he researched the Electrical issues. He had electrical problems with his Dodge Dakota also. His said it is the problem with most newer Chrysler products have.
I will take it to the dealer, but I am not happy. It only has one more year on it's bumper to bumper warranty. Then this kind of problem will be mine. If it doesn't have a code, how am I supposed to find it?
Might be a good time to start looking for an old Jeep to fix up, before I have to get rid of this one. An older YJ with a 4.2 would be most likely what I will look for. Pretty sad that Jeep has fallen this far.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metaldemon
Well mine has no codes. I plugged in the scanner, and nothing. The ABS, and Traction Control don't work. The brake lock diff doesn't work either. I tried all three on the ice in the alley in back of the house. I am very disappointed with this JK right now. My oldest son told me that he wanted a Wrangler, but didn't buy one when he researched the Electrical issues. He had electrical problems with his Dodge Dakota also. His said it is the problem with most newer Chrysler products have.
I will take it to the dealer, but I am not happy. It only has one more year on it's bumper to bumper warranty. Then this kind of problem will be mine. If it doesn't have a code, how am I supposed to find it?
Might be a good time to start looking for an old Jeep to fix up, before I have to get rid of this one. An older YJ with a 4.2 would be most likely what I will look for. Pretty sad that Jeep has fallen this far.
Not all code readers will read abs codes. It must be a quality scanner
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

My code scanner has enhanced codes. If found the the cruise control codes that the dealers Star scan couldn't find. Glad I now have found a good dealer that looked into it on my word, and my scanner. Problem was found, and repaired.
I am more worried about the reliability of this vehicle. If I am having problems now, what about ten years down the road when has 150,000 miles on it.
I would be more than happy if they could take off the ABS pump, wheel sensors, and traction control legally. I would be happy if I could take it off illegally, if I could get it flashed to pass inspection.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy
Did you check the unit bearing like I suggested.

Not yet, the weather has been terrible at the moment snow and ice all over.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Any updates from whoever it was that brought it to the dealer?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Just a followup guys. Turns out it was a frayed wired that I couldn't see which was causing the ABS/ESP lights to stay on. Cost 200$ bucks at the dealership which of course wasn't covered under warranty. Hope you guys figure out the problem with yours.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by capthk
Just a followup guys. Turns out it was a frayed wired that I couldn't see which was causing the ABS/ESP lights to stay on. Cost 200$ bucks at the dealership which of course wasn't covered under warranty. Hope you guys figure out the problem with yours.
Lot better than what it could cost from those jerkoffs i suppose.

My new connector for the rear sensor came in and i have no idea how it goes on, gonna have to disect it im sure theyl charge $200 just to fix that for me.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
I am yet to resolve this problem.

I changed the front and rear left side sensors to no resolve. In the process I even broke the plug on the wiring harness in the rear so that's gonna set me back $50 for just the part.

Should I just take it to the dealer and bite the bullet? I'm tempted to replace the entire ABS module but for all I know it's something small and I'm wasting my time and money.
I changed my passenger side front sensor and harness....what a complete PITA to even get into the engine bay to disconnect and reconnect that end. I cut my hand up good, not looking forward to doing the drivers side!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by conifers4
I changed my passenger side front sensor and harness....what a complete PITA to even get into the engine bay to disconnect and reconnect that end. I cut my hand up good, not looking forward to doing the drivers side!!!
You could have just bent back the wheel well liner and stuck ur hand in. Much easier.

So anyway, I fixed mine. Unreal how it happened total dumb luck.

In my frustration I accidentally broke the wiring harness of the rear driver side sensor. So I ordered a new connector online for $27, dealer wants $46 plus tax so I turned to ebay.

Anyway, I go to install it today and I take the tape off the wire loom and peel it back, and what do I find, a wire hanging on my a thread. I touched it and it basically broke in two. I cut it clean and stripped the end. Spliced in the new harness and the problem was resolved.

Had I not broken that harness, I never would have looked behind that wire loom and found the wire. Mind you I have NO IDEA how this wire can even get damaged where it is. It basically wraps under and around the rear axle.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
You could have just bent back the wheel well liner and stuck ur hand in. Much easier.

So anyway, I fixed mine. Unreal how it happened total dumb luck.

In my frustration I accidentally broke the wiring harness of the rear driver side sensor. So I ordered a new connector online for $27, dealer wants $46 plus tax so I turned to ebay.

Anyway, I go to install it today and I take the tape off the wire loom and peel it back, and what do I find, a wire hanging on my a thread. I touched it and it basically broke in two. I cut it clean and stripped the end. Spliced in the new harness and the problem was resolved.

Had I not broken that harness, I never would have looked behind that wire loom and found the wire. Mind you I have NO IDEA how this wire can even get damaged where it is. It basically wraps under and around the rear axle.
Thanks I'll try that on the other side.

Great news for you on finding it, funny how things happen sometime.

Quick Reply: ABS/ESP lights and wheelspeed sensor codes.