JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Adjusting stock fog lights (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/adjusting-stock-fog-lights-349324/)

WTC3 02-10-2019 09:06 AM

Adjusting stock fog lights

Can anyone tell me how to adjust (raise up) the light pattern of stock fog lights on a 2017 Wrangler JK? Any specific specialty tools required ?

Thank you in advance. -Tim-

Rednroll 02-10-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by WTC3 (Post 4335929)
Can anyone tell me how to adjust (raise up) the light pattern of stock fog lights on a 2017 Wrangler JK? Any specific specialty tools required ?

There is a single screw with a spring on it, on the backside of the fog for up/down adjustment. Phillips screw driver to adjust....or is it a torque bit? I haven't needed to adjust mine but just going by memory when I replaced mine with LEDs. I'm also unsure if you can adjust while they're mounted or if they need to be removed. Hopefully someone who has adjusted them can chime in.

resharp001 02-11-2019 07:46 AM

Are you wanting to adjust them cuz it's hard to see anything with factory headlights? If so, adjusting fogs is only gonna do a tiny bit, but could also just start blinding oncoming traffic. Is it maybe time to consider a headlight upgrade of some sort instead? We have some of the worst factory headlights ever.

Tom Bicking 02-11-2019 08:05 AM

I just did the cheap headlight upgrade for now and put a set of Silver star Ultra bulbs in. It is a big improvement over stock. I am weighing the various options for upgrading them further.

Rednroll 02-11-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Bicking (Post 4335985)
I just did the cheap headlight upgrade for now and put a set of Silver star Ultra bulbs in. It is a big improvement over stock. I am weighing the various options for upgrading them further.

I did the Amazon highly rated LED LX-Light headlight/foglight upgrade. I feel it's the best value upgrade out there and includes matching fogs. Been running them for just over 2 years, DOT approved, no problems.

Procomp LED headlights are also highly rated for the price but you would need to purchase fogs separately.

akguy09 02-11-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by WTC3 (Post 4335929)

For a 2017 there is a phillips screw that you can see while laying under the bumper. Use a Flashlight because to find the hole.
CW lowers them CCW to raise them

resharp001 02-11-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4335987)
I did the Amazon highly rated LED LX-Light headlight/foglight upgrade. I feel it's the best value upgrade out there and includes matching fogs. Been running them for just over 2 years, DOT approved, no problems.

No issues with non-heated LEDs in Michigan winters?

Rednroll 02-11-2019 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4335991)
No issues with non-heated LEDs in Michigan winters?

Nah....I think many people make much ado about nothing on forums in regards to LEDs getting covered up with snow and needing a heated lens. In reality my experience has been that snow has not accumulated enough on the lens enough to impact the amount of light coming through the lens unless I have driven for 2 hours straight in a blizzard and by that time, I'm ready to stop off for a warm coffee break from driving so long in that mess and I just take my hand with a glove on it and wipe the lens clear. My daily commutes of 30-60 minutes of driving when it is snowing out has never been a problem. You know people on forums try to justify having to have certain features without ever experiencing the actual situation. In my opinion, having a heated lens to melt the snow off the lens of an LED headlight is a nice to have feature, but it's definitely not a must have in areas that get snow. I believe if that were actually the case, then we would see more heated lens OEM LED headlights.

WTC3 02-11-2019 11:20 AM

Only looking to “raise” them a touch ... to broadcast them about 10-20 yards further down the road.

Mr.T 02-11-2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by WTC3 (Post 4336003)
Only looking to “raise” them a touch ... to broadcast them about 10-20 yards further down the road.

The fogs have a wide beam aimed low, and not designed to reach out very far. Suspect they'll loose too much close-up light if aimed up that much, that's been my experience with other vehicles.

A quick test is to drive up on a 2x4 or similar with the front tires at night and see how they look in a parking lot or driveway. :cheers: