Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Air Conditioner Smell?

Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Ok, so I picked mine up on the 27th. Turn on the AC and there was kind of a smell, but I figured "meh new smell, it will go away" Well by the time the weekend came about it was so bad the the wife would gag if I turned on the vents. (AC,HEAT didnt matter)
So I brought it in to get it checked out. Turns out the 06's had the same problem. The coil condenses but doesnt drain so the water builds up and goes rancid ( I was kind of happy as I had thought something died in there LOL). There is a TSB from last year that addresses it. The mechanic didnt apply the TSB for me, instead he ran some smelly stuff through my heater box. It kind of fixed it, but I am already noticing the smell again, so I think I am going to get him to apply the TSB. If anyone is experiencing this PM me and I will send you the TSB number as it is out in the parking lot here at work.\Cheers
PM SENT... please send me the TSB
Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pm Sent To Ya !
Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj
Pm Sent To Ya !
Got it...replied...hopefully that helps. I guess it was a pretty standard problem with the 06's. After they flushed mine or whatever, it has never come back. (crosses fingers)
Old 08-11-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have found that if I turn the temp knob 1/2 way to warm right before I turn it off, the heat from the exchanger will help dry the a/c out and keep the dirty foot / ass smell from being there when I restart it.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

awesome thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sirhcman
FOLLOW UP: Dropped off my Jeep last night to have them look at the mold smell again. They called me this afternoon and told me the coil condenser had mold buildup and needed to be replaced. They are replacing it tomorrow, hope this helps anyone else that might be having the same problem!
New update..the smell is back, this will be the 3rd time I will have dropped off the Jeep for this one problem, how much longer until I have to wait for the lemon law to take affect? 3,200 miles on this thing and problems galore
Old 10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem but my dealer said to turn on the defrosters on high and with the heat on to fix (each time I smelled it) the problem. They said it was a chemical in the system that had to burn off. After about 9 times the smell is gone! They said if they opened the sealed system it would be bad the factory had a chemical in it to stop mold which they could not put back in. It has been about 6 weeks since I smelt it..
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrsig
I had the same problem but my dealer said to turn on the defrosters on high and with the heat on to fix (each time I smelled it) the problem. They said it was a chemical in the system that had to burn off. After about 9 times the smell is gone! They said if they opened the sealed system it would be bad the factory had a chemical in it to stop mold which they could not put back in. It has been about 6 weeks since I smelt it..
Never in my life or in any other vehicle (including my Jeep Cherokee) did I ever have to run the heat to get rid of a mold smell from my car. This is certainly not the fix I want. If they do notfix it this time (3rd time in there and now they say they can not smell it) then I will be calling Chrysler LLC about my buy back option. I have had the vehicle for 3200 miles and it has been in the service department 5 times in the last 3 months. Im pretty much fed up and done with this POS vehicle.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SONIC
i thought i was the only one!!!!
it smells RANK

so heat will help?

see im not one to take it to the dealer for something like this, as i KNOW i will come out with more problems (iv had ripped seats, scrathed GALORE, bent gas pedal (wtf?), and loads of other problems, F*** the dealer...thata where i buy a car, and unless it breaks it never goes back
I get the same thing, occasionally. It's over so quick (10-15 seconds) that I forget about it between occasions.

I agree about dealerships, but if theres a TSB.

Was the TSB posted? Did I miss it?

BTW, I love my Wrangler. Post are often to "vent", so I think its important to remember to stay positive... Sorry sirhcman, it is a Jeep thing!
Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sgt P
I get the same thing, occasionally. It's over so quick (10-15 seconds) that I forget about it between occasions.

I agree about dealerships, but if theres a TSB.

Was the TSB posted? Did I miss it?

BTW, I love my Wrangler. Post are often to "vent", so I think its important to remember to stay positive... Sorry sirhcman, it is a Jeep thing!
Sgt P, see my sig....

Last edited by sirhcman; 10-05-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Smell?