Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Air conditioning

Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
the fact is the JK was never designed to be retrofitted with A/C..

late last year on the lot at a local dealer was a still brand new silver X 2 door.. no options.. I was considering buying it for a second Jeep.. and a friend also was interested in it...

the only downfall was no air-cond.. I just wont own a vehicle without it...

no one wanted this Jeep because of no air-cond. so the dealer had already gone through the process of seeing about getting it added... chrysler reps told them that it could not be done easily and that yes the parts could be purchased separately from MOPAR but there was no A/C kit.. unlike the TJ's where it could easily and cost effectively be added.

I think your best bet is going to be look for a totalled JK and completely pull the system inside from it.. the plenum, controls, coils, blower ,etc... it will come out as a unit...

then you can purchase anything you couldnt get from the wrecked jeep....

otherwise it is going to cost so much you are almost better off selling the Jeep and getting a new one...

ive added Air-cond to many vehicles before.. even my current monte carlo Hotrod that didnt even have dash vents originally.. but looking at what is involved to do it to a JK.. I wasnt going to attempt it....

also for those folks up north this has been an unprecedented hot summer... likely not going to happen again next year.. and this summer will begin to taper off up north so best bet might just be to ride it out....

-Christopher
Not yet....
It's 70°F and the sun is out FULL BLAST right now.

Just kidding. We still have August to get through.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Not yet....
It's 70°F and the sun is out FULL BLAST right now.

Just kidding. We still have August to get through.
true that.. even here in ohio there have been days I drove my 500 HP hotrod just because it blows colder air (34 degrees) than my JK does(40 degrees)... been a good hot summer...

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Air conditioning