Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Airbag Light....

Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light....

My airbag light all the sudden decided to start going on an off about every other minute with a nice chime. Frankly, I could live with the light on, the chime is annoying. My guess is it's the clock spring. I'm going to take my JK to autozone and have them get a read on it. If it is the clockspring, how much do they go for including install? Can I live without a new clockspring? Is there a way to just turn the airbag light off and keep it off?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Amazon and E-bay has new replacement clock springs for $190. Replacement isn't all that hard, there are write ups on it floating around the net.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

there is a recall on the clock spring for the 07 model it just got extended to 230,000
Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

I think the OP has a 2008, might be sol on the extended warranty.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Horn is good. So it might not be the clockspring. Hope it's not. I'm going to give the dealership a call an look into that warranty. I have a 2008 but hopefully that recall will be legit. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Called the dealership. My JK does not have the recall for the clockspring. If the clockspring is the problem, will I be okay driving around or does that thing have to be replaced?

Dealership wanted $116 just to diagnose the code/problem. Sorry, but that's steep. So long as I can live without a clockspring (assuming that is the culprit), is there a fuse I can pull to disable the airbag light or (brace yourself) even the airbags?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

There's another thread on here someplace encouraging owners of 08's to file an on-line complaint to NHTSA about the clockspring. The thinking is that will eventually encourage Chrysler to extend the recall. For mine, I disconnected the sensor under the drver's seat. It now chimes once at start up and the light stays on. I'm assuming it means I no longer have an air bag, but that's a lot of scratch to come up with for a repair.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Be careful you do not want your airbag to deploy for no reason. That warning light might be telling you something. FYI when an airbag deploys its moving about 105 mph and make sure your distance from chest to the steering wheel is 10" or more, with in that is the impact zone and yes that will hurt. Find out why that light is coming on.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of an airbag light is on that means your srs system is disabled and if an accident occurs no airbags will deploy, the air bag will never go off if the light is on, make sure you get it scanned there are many things that can turn that light on
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wapiti
There's another thread on here someplace encouraging owners of 08's to file an on-line complaint to NHTSA about the clockspring. The thinking is that will eventually encourage Chrysler to extend the recall. For mine, I disconnected the sensor under the drver's seat. It now chimes once at start up and the light stays on. I'm assuming it means I no longer have an air bag, but that's a lot of scratch to come up with for a repair.
Yeah, I saw that. Meant to do that. There's also a Chrysler HQ number to call regarding this, but I need to find that again. Thanks! I did search on this airbag light issue and it seems that way too many people are having this exact problem. It's so lame of Chrysler to not put out a recall....

Where exactly is the sensor? I see the main plug, which then forks into two different locations beneath my seat. Where should I look? Or is that it? Just pull the plug apart?

As for everyone else, thank you for your help. I do appreciate it. I just honestly do not have the cash to put down for a $116 diagnostic scan, followed by who knows what else I would need fixed in order to solve this. Hopefully the NHTSA or Chrysler HQ can do something....

Last edited by RN M OVR; 04-24-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light....