Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Amsoil hype? Lets find out!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops, hit the send button by accident. So the only vehicle that I did do the 10K changes on was my Rainier, it has a 7 quart pan and I go 12K total. I have had the GM Oil Life Monitor on two of these cars, the lowest it's read was 16% at 10K, so it seems like I was well within what GM was recommending.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update 03/12/11

My first tank of gas has gotten 25 mpg on the ecu and 22.4 on the hand method. I will average this over a few tanks and take into consideration the rise in temperature. However, with temperature and Amsoil change, I have seen +2 mpg's which I won't complain about. This summer I think I will be setting records.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

neat thread. i'll be watching. i have run synth in my 300M for 140K miles (230k kilometres) and the engine sounds and feels great still. now with my JK, i'm thinking i better re-start that habit (although expensive). maybe i'll give the amsoil a try. i used to use whichever 100% syn was on sale at wallymart but usually mobil1.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Just a heads up. Exxon mobile has a Lubs refinery here in beaumont Texas. They make mobil 1 and alot of other brands of syn oil including amsoil. Don't believe me? Try to find an amsoil refinery.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lumberjack500
Just a heads up. Exxon mobile has a Lubs refinery here in beaumont Texas. They make mobil 1 and alot of other brands of syn oil including amsoil. Don't believe me? Try to find an amsoil refinery.
That is true, but Anheuser Busch makes a ton of different brands of beer too, but they don't all taste like Bud Light.

It is all about the formula and additives. I am interested to see where this goes, I have been running Mobil 1 in my diffs for a couple of years, I frankly have not noticed a huge difference, but this is one of those really long term tests.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

True, but amsoil and mobil 1 are 99% the same. Exxon spends billions on r&d. I think if amsoil had discovered a chemical that could be added in minuscule amounts and let you get significantly better gas mileage, they would have stolen/taken long ago.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

We have some misconceptions I can clear up. The refineries who make oil, make it for everyone. What makes brands different is the additive package and science behind the additives. Amsoil contracts their different oils to different refineries for their class III and class IV synthetics. So does Mobil, Castrol, Royal Purple, etc. This certainly does not make them the same oil. If you took just plain motor oil base stock, and put it in your engine, it would fail within a few hundred miles. Base Stock has ZERO additives.

I don't believe hype, that's why I am doing this experiment, so we can ALL see if it's worth it to switche to an oil hyped up like Amsoil.

Science shows Mobil 1 and Amsoil have very different qualities and behaviors when in an engine rotating at 6000 RPM. But the REAL difference is extended drain intervals. This is what I will really be testing.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TMahaffey
We have some misconceptions I can clear up. The refineries who make oil, make it for everyone. What makes brands different is the additive package and science behind the additives. Amsoil contracts their different oils to different refineries for their class III and class IV synthetics. So does Mobil, Castrol, Royal Purple, etc. This certainly does not make them the same oil. If you took just plain motor oil base stock, and put it in your engine, it would fail within a few hundred miles. Base Stock has ZERO additives.
Really? A few hundred miles? What is it that you think the motor oil additives do exactly? There are surely some detergents and neutralizers in there, but the big issue would be the polymers that allow the weight of the oil to change when heated, and those are going to wear out. Probably before 25k miles. The "used oil analysis" - what does that include? Viscosity checks at various temperatures to ensure that the viscosity changing polymers are intact? A full analysis down to the molecular structure of the oil? I don't think so. I may be wrong, but those tests would cost much more than simply replacing the oil, and lose the cost benefit that they supposedly provide. What they do measure, is particulate and contaminant in the oil. I don't know for sure, but I think that the additives that allow a multiple weight oil (5w-20, etc) break down after 6k miles or less, and that is a big reason why the oil needs to be changed. Also to remove chemical contaminants. After those break down you will be running straight 20.

I don't believe hype, that's why I am doing this experiment, so we can ALL see if it's worth it to switch to an oil hyped up like Amsoil.
Got to give you props for doing the experiment on a brand new engine.

Science shows Mobil 1 and Amsoil have very different qualities and behaviors when in an engine rotating at 6000 RPM. But the REAL difference is extended drain intervals. This is what I will really be testing.
Why is it such an advantage to change your oil every 25k miles? I don't get it. And "very different qualities and behaviors?" Come on. Amsoil is a better oil, but very different is a stretch and a half. You aren't talking about the difference between canola oil and Amsoil. They are both high quality synthetic lubricants that MUST meet certain standards, and the standards are not just arbitrary.

Also, it will void your warranty. Chrysler can not void a warranty by your use of synthetic - but changing the oil on a schedule more than 6k miles is expressly prohibited and clearly not allowed. 25k is very, very far from 6k. I don't imagine a warranty being denied because you changed the oil at 6,400, but 25,000 - well yeah, and justifiably so. If it fails you are going to be on the hook - EVEN if it was a BAD ENGINE and TOTALLY their fault!!! They can not prove that the oil caused the engine to fail, but they can demonstrate blatant disregard for what they said was needed to maintain the warranty - that is all they need. And unless Amsoil is going to step in and foot the bill for the engine (not likely), you are going to be out a whole lot more money than you would just changing it on schedule.

Good luck, and I mean it. What I am more interested in is the mpg improvement. I noticed a definite and immediate increase (2mpg or so) when I switched everything to Mobil-1. If Amsoil gives 2mpg more, then it will pay for itself in short order.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine used amsoil in his sled and the oil had part of an old rag in it.... Got stuck in his oil pump and starved the engine of oil. Blew motor.... Amsoil gave him a years worth of free oil to say sorry. I guess it had happened to some other people.... I think they may have helped him out with the motor rebuild to. Sounds like a good company.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NH-JK
A friend of mine used amsoil in his sled and the oil had part of an old rag in it.... Got stuck in his oil pump and starved the engine of oil. Blew motor.... Amsoil gave him a years worth of free oil to say sorry. I guess it had happened to some other people.... I think they may have helped him out with the motor rebuild to. Sounds like a good company.

Amsoil recommends 25k change schedule, so what is that? 3-4 quarts for the 6 quart JK engine? Sled I imagine is snowmobile? So that is one change per life of vehicle? Did they give him a tablespoon of Amsoil? For free!?!

And it happened to some other people? So the freaking rag CAME IN THE OIL!?!?!?! One year of free oil doesn't make up for that by a long shot. I hope this is a misreading on my part, because I like the "idea" of Amsoil. But if they are selling contaminated oil and offer a pittance for the massive damage it causes - well damn..

Quick Reply: Amsoil hype? Lets find out!