Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Amsoil hype? Lets find out!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyj
Really? A few hundred miles? What is it that you think the motor oil additives do exactly? There are surely some detergents and neutralizers in there, but the big issue would be the polymers that allow the weight of the oil to change when heated, and those are going to wear out. Probably before 25k miles. The "used oil analysis" - what does that include? Viscosity checks at various temperatures to ensure that the viscosity changing polymers are intact? A full analysis down to the molecular structure of the oil? I don't think so. I may be wrong, but those tests would cost much more than simply replacing the oil, and lose the cost benefit that they supposedly provide. What they do measure, is particulate and contaminant in the oil. I don't know for sure, but I think that the additives that allow a multiple weight oil (5w-20, etc) break down after 6k miles or less, and that is a big reason why the oil needs to be changed. Also to remove chemical contaminants. After those break down you will be running straight 20.

Got to give you props for doing the experiment on a brand new engine.

Why is it such an advantage to change your oil every 25k miles? I don't get it. And "very different qualities and behaviors?" Come on. Amsoil is a better oil, but very different is a stretch and a half. You aren't talking about the difference between canola oil and Amsoil. They are both high quality synthetic lubricants that MUST meet certain standards, and the standards are not just arbitrary.

Also, it will void your warranty. Chrysler can not void a warranty by your use of synthetic - but changing the oil on a schedule more than 6k miles is expressly prohibited and clearly not allowed. 25k is very, very far from 6k. I don't imagine a warranty being denied because you changed the oil at 6,400, but 25,000 - well yeah, and justifiably so. If it fails you are going to be on the hook - EVEN if it was a BAD ENGINE and TOTALLY their fault!!! They can not prove that the oil caused the engine to fail, but they can demonstrate blatant disregard for what they said was needed to maintain the warranty - that is all they need. And unless Amsoil is going to step in and foot the bill for the engine (not likely), you are going to be out a whole lot more money than you would just changing it on schedule.

Good luck, and I mean it. What I am more interested in is the mpg improvement. I noticed a definite and immediate increase (2mpg or so) when I switched everything to Mobil-1. If Amsoil gives 2mpg more, then it will pay for itself in short order.
Not good at this whole "Quote" thing so bear with me.

The additives in oil do a number of things. One additives is what causes the multi viscosity. You are right, this is the first thing to let go. This is why we need to change the oil on a regular basis. Full Synthetic oil (FULL SYNTHETIC, NOT MOBIL 1) has less of these additives. This means it can last longer without loosing viscosity. Used Oil Analysis can test for viscosity and remaining viscosity additives. In Amsoil, and other Full Synthetics, the viscosity stays in place during multiple life cycles of class III (mobil 1) or other non-synthetic oils. In a nutshell, full synthetics last longer, and this can been proven by oil analysis.

Changing the oil with Amsoil after 6,000 miles would be a complete waste of money. With retail prices, you are looking at atleast $75 for a oil and filter change. This is where the benefit of extended drain intervals comes into play. Amsoil is formulated using additives to last longer, therefore, stay with Mobil 1 or even Dino oil if you want to change every 3-5000 miles.

They test more than particulate count in the oil. Different particulates and chemicals tell a tale of the state the oil is in. This includes engine wear, cold AND hot viscosity, fuel and water dilution, foaming characteristics, and other chemicals like Moly, viscosity additives, and integrity of the ORIGINAL OILS ADDITIVES.

FOR INSTANCE: They can tell me that my 0w20 Amsoil is alot different than a brand new bottle, and that would be bad. At 8,000 miles, they can tell me my engine is having bearing wear, seal deterioration, Fuel Blowby, coolant leak, etc..etc..etc...

One more point, everyone tells me my engine will loose warranty if I go over 6,000 miles. Im not sure why, or maybe its a misprint or I am reading it wrong, but my owners manual says the oil change and filter interval is every 8,000 miles.

One more point thats worth noting is that Amsoil guarantees that with proper Oil Analysis, and by following Amsoil's guidelines, that my Jeep will be guaranteed to stay under Chrysler warranty. If it doesnt, then Amsoil will fix anything that goes wrong. I would not be doing this if I thought I would void my warranty. They would have to prove that I didn't change my oil at regular intervals. There would be NO WAY to do this, becuase they would take an engine oil analysis, and my oil would show it was good.

On a new point, Please stay tuned for the first engine oil analysis so you can see what I mean. I have a lot of good stuff planned.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Newbie

Oops I forgot something. Here is a quote from AMSOIL:

"All of the vehicle OEMs in the U.S. have agreed that a warranty cannot be denied because a customer was using any brand of motor oil at any length drain interval unless an engine failure was directly attributable to the oil or drain interval. For example, if your radio, power steering unit, air conditioner, etc. broke down, they could not void the warranty that covers those items because you were changing your engine oil at extended drain intervals. If it is not an oil related failure, they cannot void the warranty. The law supports this position.

If your engine failed, and the manufacturer denied your warranty for repair due to your using extended drain intervals, then you would submit your claim to the AMSOIL Technical Services Department for handling. (See the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.) Our staff will analyze the oil, and if we are able to provide documentation that proves the source of the problem was something other than the oil, and that in turn allows your claim to be processed under the original warranty, then we will. If no proof can be assembled regarding the source of the problem, our insurance adjustor will be dispatched to resolve the claim. A warranty claim being denied because of the use of extended drain intervals is an extremely rare occurrence. That's because motor oils do not cause engine failures; dirt, glycol and other mechanical problems do."
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

I'm Confuse !

Two questions:

Is Synthetic Oil made not refine from Crude Oil ?

Is Ordinary Motor Oil refine from Crude Oil ?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am a big Amsoil fan but I could not run this oil. I tried but I lost too much oil. I think it is just too thin for my Jeep. I have gone back to running Castrol Edge 10w 30 and the losing oil has all but stopped so I would say just check your oil every fill-up. I am still a firm believer in Amsoil but I can't justify adding a quart every 1k miles.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to keep watching this thread. I have been using MobilOne for years and believe in the product. I never did a comparison like this, so I can't quote milage increases or decreases or anything like that, but my vehicles run smoother.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Just a question I may have missed- were you running Mobil 1 before the swap and saw a 2 mpg improvement or was it a different oil you were running? Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jim11787
Just a question I may have missed- were you running Mobil 1 before the swap and saw a 2 mpg improvement or was it a different oil you were running? Thanks for sharing.
No, I bought the vehicle brand new and was running factory oil beforehand.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hifirush
I'm going to keep watching this thread. I have been using MobilOne for years and believe in the product. I never did a comparison like this, so I can't quote milage increases or decreases or anything like that, but my vehicles run smoother.
Mobil 1 is a great oil. If you are doing regular oil change intervals, Mobil 1 is fine. What I like about Mobil is it's the easiest synthetic (class III) oil to find, and it's cheap compared to class IV oil like Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple. Your not getting ALL the benefits of a class IV oil, but most of those benefits are for extended drain intervals anyway.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sc0tt
I am a big Amsoil fan but I could not run this oil. I tried but I lost too much oil. I think it is just too thin for my Jeep. I have gone back to running Castrol Edge 10w 30 and the losing oil has all but stopped so I would say just check your oil every fill-up. I am still a firm believer in Amsoil but I can't justify adding a quart every 1k miles.
Yes I have heard this about the 3.8L in general. It is true some engines like different oil. I suggest running a Oil Analysis at your next change, and get some detailed analysis on why your oil is burning up. It might be something simple like a PCV valve or just cold starts.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tuto
I'm Confuse !

Two questions:

Is Synthetic Oil made not refine from Crude Oil ?

Is Ordinary Motor Oil refine from Crude Oil ?

All engine oil is made using regular oil base stocks.

Mobil 1 and Amsoil XL oils are more regular oil than synthetic. Most people regard these as hybrid or synthetic blend (regardless of what the packaging says) These are class III. Royal Purple, High End Amsoil, and other class IV oils are really the closest to full synthetic that you can really get. Learn everything you need to know at bobistheoilguy.com

Quick Reply: Amsoil hype? Lets find out!