Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Annoying Windsheild Rattle/Pop - Anyone else?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Windsheild Rattle/Pop - Anyone else?

Hey everyone! Just picked up my new (to me) 2010 JKU Sport on Thursday. Bought it with about 25,000 miles on it and loving it so far. I am finding some little issues I would like to resolve, however, and hope that someone on here may have had some experience with this.

The area where the windshield and roll bar meet on the passenger side has a very loud pop every so often when hitting large bumps at any speed above 20 mph or so. I checked the three bolts at that spot and one was very loose, so I tightened them all up on both sides. I believe the popping has improved, but it has not gone away. Anyone else with an experience like this? I'm a little scared to pull off the trim piece that runs the length of the top of the windsheild, has anyone done this? I'm guessing it may be attached with those plastic push pins.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Try this first, before you get into taking stuff apart. Get some black electrical tape and wrap a layer around the front door strikers, do both of them for good measure. See if that doesn't fix it. There is an ongoing problem of a noise up near your head on the rollbar, people think it is the rollbar, or windshield, or most commonly, the seatbelt. This might not be your problem, but it will definitely rule it out so that you can narrow it down.

Also, check the cowling between the hood and the windshield, several bolts that you can check, while you are at it, check the exterior bolts on the windshield and your side mirrors.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

I get a pop noise as well on the drivers B pillar. Sounds like its coming from the seat belt return... I'll have the stealership look at it when I have to take it in for some maintenance, but 'til then I'll just deal with it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11JKU-HOSS
I get a pop noise as well on the drivers B pillar. Sounds like its coming from the seat belt return... I'll have the stealership look at it when I have to take it in for some maintenance, but 'til then I'll just deal with it.
It's ur door latch, adjust it or put a couple rounds of electrical tape on it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shell
It's ur door latch, adjust it or put a couple rounds of electrical tape on it.
Really? I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Trust me, just do the tape thing I mentioned, it will stop it or at the least, rule it out. It's cheap, you probably have the tape at home, and you don't have to make an appointment. That reminds, me, I need to do my 6 month service on my strikers.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Tape on the striker works like a dream. Once I got the drivers door done, noticed the passenger side had the same noise - both done - no noise!

This forum is a great source for all sorts of useful information!

Quick Reply: Annoying Windsheild Rattle/Pop - Anyone else?