Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Antifreeze Question

Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze Question

I have a 2008 jk 2dr auto. i recently noticed that my antifreeze level is quite low. I wanted to add some but i was not sure if i go get the good old green stuff from the auto store or if i should go to the stealership because its the orange antifreeze which i believe they call dexron.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

plain and simple, if in doubt color match ,theres a silicone base and a non silicone they don't mix, try parts stores first.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
I have a 2008 jk 2dr auto. i recently noticed that my antifreeze level is quite low. I wanted to add some but i was not sure if i go get the good old green stuff from the auto store or if i should go to the stealership because its the orange antifreeze which i believe they call dexron.
NEITHER!

You want Zerex G-05 HOAT.

accept no substitute. you can get it at most good autoparts stores. It's a bit expensive.

And your due for a complete change of antifreeze after 5 years anyway.

Beware the dealers... The '13s just changed to a unique OAT formulation that is different from other OATs. And totally different from the HOAT your '08 needs.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be a mistake, but I'm up for my 5 year inspection in December to keep my lifetime warranty in effect, and will have the dealership change/flush my cooling system on my '08. When my overflow bottle level was low last year, i bought Mopar. I didn't want to mix different brands.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe im just mean to my 2012 but i just went to autozone and bought a good quality antifreeze that says it is safe in all vehicles. Never had an issue and my jeep drives in temps 90+ most of the year
Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
NEITHER!

You want Zerex G-05 HOAT.

accept no substitute. you can get it at most good autoparts stores. It's a bit expensive.

And your due for a complete change of antifreeze after 5 years anyway.

Beware the dealers... The '13s just changed to a unique OAT formulation that is different from other OATs. And totally different from the HOAT your '08 needs.
If i buy the Zerex antifreeze do i get the prediluted 50/50 formula? I would like to avoid the whole mixing with water thing. ( I would like to mention i am only topping off, not doing a flush on the system)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
If i buy the Zerex antifreeze do i get the prediluted 50/50 formula? I would like to avoid the whole mixing with water thing. ( I would like to mention i am only topping off, not doing a flush on the system)
50/50 mix is fine. If you were planning to flush it before long, you could just top off with distilled water. A quart or so of distilled water wouldn't dilute the whole volume down too low.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Question