Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any issues with the 2012 transmission overheating???

Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsears
I did not take it offensively......I was just curious as to what evidence you have seen to people "beating on a vehicle" that would cause over heating. From what I have experience, directly and indirectly and read regarding the 42RLE appears to be running in 4HI too long and not bombing around in 2WD.
Most of the "evidence" I have is from reading the same threads on here or seeing someone broken down alongside the road. The latter is usually a relatively extreme scenario, think of it as how 1% of people use their vehicle. The first thing that clicks in my head when I read that someone has an overheating issue is how they use (read: abuse) their vehicle. I'm a cynic though. I'm not saying that the 42RLE needs to be handled with kid gloves or that everyone is hard on them, I'm saying that some people expect the thing to be bulletproof and, well, it's not.

Back to the original post... I have yet to see any 2012 auto. transmission overheating issues (firsthand) and I don't believe I have read anything (yet). We have a limited sample size though, but, as stated, I think Jeep took care of the prior problem with a better transmission and an added cooler.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

No heat issues. Ive had my 12 rubi for 2 months, gone to Badlands 4 times for 3+ hrs of off-road fun per trip, and just returned from the French Lick Jeep Jamboree where we did 2 days of 8hrs each of crawling around in the southern Indiana hills (no not mountains but its all we have) all with no problems.

Hopefully the new trans combined with the new cooler has resolved the overheating issues.

Subscribing to see what others have experienced...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blue project
Joe Boxer....It seems as though you are not familair with the auto trans issues. There are more than enough of us that have blown, over heated, or just plain caught their jeeps on fire because of the auto trans in the pre 2012's. Basically the trans cooler is not able to cool the trans properly. I was driving down the beach in 4hi and over heated it. From what I could figure airing down the tires and using 4lo with the o/d off helps greatly. But never the less having the rpms around 3k for more than 20-30 seconds over heated my trans for the secong time.
Let's try this again... and we'll make it explicit. I am agreeing that numerous pre-2012 JK owners have experience transmissions issues... jsears was talking about "evidence" to which I responded with (1) the discussions on here, (2) seeing a fellow JK-er break down alongside the highway. I am stating that I have not experienced the issue. I am stating that I have not seen anything regarding 2012's having this issue (on here or firsthand)... which is how I have interpreted your question of "Any issues with the 2012 transmission overheating?" Did I misinterpret your question?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
Let's try this again... and we'll make it explicit. I am agreeing that numerous pre-2012 JK owners have experience transmissions issues... jsears was talking about "evidence" to which I responded with (1) the discussions on here, (2) seeing a fellow JK-er break down alongside the highway. I am stating that I have not experienced the issue. I am stating that I have not seen anything regarding 2012's having this issue (on here or firsthand)... which is how I have interpreted your question of "Any issues with the 2012 transmission overheating?" Did I misinterpret your question?
I'm kinda confused by all the posts but I does seem like that the 2012's have been fixed of this problem. So, thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to seeing hows the new trans holds up as I plan to trade mine in for a 2013. Rumor has it the 13's will have a 8 speed auto?!?! I just wanted to see if they pulled there head out of their ass and fixed this problem. I was a lucky one and got the "fix" a wonderfull waring light and noise that tells me I'm abou to melt down my JK!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blue project
I'm kinda confused by all the posts but I does seem like that the 2012's have been fixed of this problem. So, thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to seeing hows the new trans holds up as I plan to trade mine in for a 2013. Rumor has it the 13's will have a 8 speed auto?!?! I just wanted to see if they pulled there head out of their ass and fixed this problem. I was a lucky one and got the "fix" a wonderfull waring light and noise that tells me I'm abou to melt down my JK!
I think there was an assumption in correlating my comment on "beating on a vehicle" as to being the end-rationale as to why pre-2012 JK's experience tranny woes. To bring it down a notch -- I'm saying that I am cognizant of the transmission's faults. Those faults were corrected for 2012 and I, too, have heard that Chrysler/Jeep is aiming at upgrading the transmission yet again. I don't know if it will be 2012, as rumored, I have heard that it may become part of the new model (post-JK).
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The 2012 have no problems anywhere thanks to the pentajesus motor.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

I heard the YJ auto never overheated...lmao
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe my 12 has a tranny cooler. No issues yet.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
Supposedly it was an issue with 42RLE in the '11 and prior. With the new transmission in the 2012, the OP is asking if anyone is experiencing overheating with it.

As an '11 owner... I have yet to experience the tranny overheating, I also don't beat on my vehicle so I don't think I would run that risk.
I think the original post said "if anyone has had this problem and now has a 2012 please chime in"..

Last edited by f2fast4u; 10-15-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a transmission cooler on my 08 JKUR after it went to the dealer for the recall on the heating problem. I feel much better.

Quick Reply: Any issues with the 2012 transmission overheating???