JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Any JKs with Automatics here have "Basketball shoe on gym floor squeek" sound? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/any-jks-automatics-here-have-basketball-shoe-gym-floor-squeek-sound-10598/)

fattygio 06-22-2007 06:59 AM

Any JKs with Automatics here have "Basketball shoe on gym floor squeek" sound?

Looking for anyone with automatics that have "the sound"

Davidnstarj 06-22-2007 07:30 AM

I have a JK and it has a squeek when I start it sometimes. Don't know if that is what you are talking about. When I start it first thing in the morning, I hear a squeek/grinding noise. Only time it does it.

possumface 06-22-2007 07:59 AM

is it a fan belt squeek ?

Davidnstarj 06-22-2007 09:11 AM

Mine is more of a grinding noise. Only does it when I start it in the morning. Just another "little" issue I have had. Still love my JK!

twstokes 06-22-2007 09:13 AM

I'm not sure if we're talking about the exact same thing, but I have heard (maybe once or twice) a high-pitched "basketball shoe on gym floor" type squeak coming from what sounded like the right side of the windshield.

I could only hear it at a really low speed (leaving my driveway) and once I got up to speed I couldn't hear it anymore. Whatever I heard sounded like it would be independent of transmission or anything else non-related to the body.

BigJerm 06-22-2007 10:13 AM

sometimes i hear a squeak, sounds like coming from the rear. can hear it when ive been driving for awhile and then i start to get into like neighborhoods and it stops when i stop. Only once in awhile though

dsr 06-22-2007 12:21 PM

I have the shoe type squeak and I have an automatic. The noise in my jeep almost sounds as if it is coming from below the center console and is only heard on rapid accelleration or sharp corners with accelleration. I never hear it just driving down the road. I am just glad someone has the same problem with an automatic. I started a thread a while back and it seemed that nobody else had this problem.

NETASTOPHALES 06-22-2007 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dsr (Post 115602)
...only heard on rapid accelleration or sharp corners with accelleration. I never hear it just driving down the road. .

I have an automatic, and I hear a high pitched sqeal on acceleration, but I am thinking it is the Air intake. Kinda like a CAI (I think that is what it is called).

wipeout 06-22-2007 01:30 PM

I had a sound like that at about 35-40 MPH sometimes. It turned out to be wind gurgling between the front tops where it meets the windshield frame. I got some stickon weather strip pieces from napa and put it on the passenger panel and it went away. The panels never leaked water even in a car wash.

fr33land 06-22-2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by fattygio (Post 115345)
Looking for anyone with automatics that have "the sound"

I have the basketball squek every time i go over polishied concreate (street gutters). Its almost as though the differential is not allowing the tires to travel at different speeds. Mine definitely comes from the rubber on the road.