Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any JKs with Automatics here have "Basketball shoe on gym floor squeek" sound?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any JKs with Automatics here have "Basketball shoe on gym floor squeek" sound?

Looking for anyone with automatics that have "the sound"
Old 06-22-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have a JK and it has a squeek when I start it sometimes. Don't know if that is what you are talking about. When I start it first thing in the morning, I hear a squeek/grinding noise. Only time it does it.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

is it a fan belt squeek ?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is more of a grinding noise. Only does it when I start it in the morning. Just another "little" issue I have had. Still love my JK!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure if we're talking about the exact same thing, but I have heard (maybe once or twice) a high-pitched "basketball shoe on gym floor" type squeak coming from what sounded like the right side of the windshield.

I could only hear it at a really low speed (leaving my driveway) and once I got up to speed I couldn't hear it anymore. Whatever I heard sounded like it would be independent of transmission or anything else non-related to the body.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

sometimes i hear a squeak, sounds like coming from the rear. can hear it when ive been driving for awhile and then i start to get into like neighborhoods and it stops when i stop. Only once in awhile though
Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 PM
dsr
JK Newbie

I have the shoe type squeak and I have an automatic. The noise in my jeep almost sounds as if it is coming from below the center console and is only heard on rapid accelleration or sharp corners with accelleration. I never hear it just driving down the road. I am just glad someone has the same problem with an automatic. I started a thread a while back and it seemed that nobody else had this problem.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dsr
...only heard on rapid accelleration or sharp corners with accelleration. I never hear it just driving down the road. .
I have an automatic, and I hear a high pitched sqeal on acceleration, but I am thinking it is the Air intake. Kinda like a CAI (I think that is what it is called).
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

I had a sound like that at about 35-40 MPH sometimes. It turned out to be wind gurgling between the front tops where it meets the windshield frame. I got some stickon weather strip pieces from napa and put it on the passenger panel and it went away. The panels never leaked water even in a car wash.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fattygio
Looking for anyone with automatics that have "the sound"
I have the basketball squek every time i go over polishied concreate (street gutters). Its almost as though the differential is not allowing the tires to travel at different speeds. Mine definitely comes from the rubber on the road.

Quick Reply: Any JKs with Automatics here have "Basketball shoe on gym floor squeek" sound?