Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody Here an Automatic Transmission Technician?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am now having this problem as well, it's getting quite a bit worse these last few weeks. It started as just the hard shifting, downshifting too far, and inability to keep momentum on inclines. Now I get the vibration occurring as well. 26k miles, and I would say it didn't really get going for me until 20k, with the vibrations starting about 1k miles ago. Too bad I bought the Jeep before the lifetime powertrain warranty, by about a month. Now I need to have this issue resolved within a month or so, before my warranty is up. (I drive a lot of miles) I'll be calling today or tomorrow to make an appointment with the dealer, luckily I've had good luck with this one so far.

Wish I would have convinced the wife to let me the that manual again....
Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 4 door Sahara with 4:10 gears now for 45000 miles. I've used it to tow and everything. Mine works great. The only time I get downshifting more than I would do myself is if I have cruise control on.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by skibum
I agree 100%. I posted on another forum that IMHO the 42RLE will be as infamous as the Peugeot trannys installed in earlier Wranglers. Unfortunately, like you said earlier, "this is not the Jeep I test drove". I'm not sure what the answer is, but I've contacted some aftermarket TC manufacturers to see if they have any solutions. I'm also looking into the auto that is installed in some of the heavier duty Dodge trucks to see about compatibility with the 3.8 and the existing transfer case. I really don't expect Chrysler to step up to this problem with a redesigned tranny.........just not gonna happen. Initial costs are too high and they don't seem to care about repeat business (there are enough people out there that will write it off to, "it's a Jeep thing") I'll keep you posted.
Then it will be time for a custom tire cover that reads, "It used to be a Jeep Thing, but all that shit was crap from Crappler."
Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi

Its amazing how annoying its getting. Made an appointment for Tuesday wish me luck.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the growing list... my 2008 with 5045 miles has been doing this for at least the past 2500 of them. Funny thing is that my 2007 with the POS package did this same thing. I live in hilly terrain, low speed limits - and this is driving me crazy.

I can deal with (and i have ALL of these) wind noise, leaky tops (freedom & soft), rough ride, scratchy plastic, TICKING engine, hood bounce, and the host of other "jeep thing" problems our JKs have .... but when it comes to drivabiltiy issues with a vehicle i start getting pissed. like some others have said, if i drive it like a bat-outta-hell then its all good, but that then means i'm reving it to about 4000 rmps and getting 12MPG

i feel like the dealership thinks that i am causing all these problems... since i already had one JK replaced - now problems are surfacing with the replacement... UUUUGGGG... gonna probably take it in to the dealer some time this week - guess we'll see.

Last edited by jcollett; 04-29-2008 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody Here an Automatic Transmission Technician?