Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone else have a ticking/nocking sound at startup?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else have a ticking/nocking sound at startup?

It only lasts for a second, but when I crank up my 3.8 JK, the engine almost sounds like it's dry and I can just hear this tick-tick-nock and it all smooths out within just a few cycles of the crank. anyone else notice this, or just me. The oil level is fine and I have no clue as to what it could be.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by demtek9
It only lasts for a second, but when I crank up my 3.8 JK, the engine almost sounds like it's dry and I can just hear this tick-tick-nock and it all smooths out within just a few cycles of the crank. anyone else notice this, or just me. The oil level is fine and I have no clue as to what it could be.
It could be your oil filter has a bad anti-drainback valve. Does the sound mainly occur when the jeep has sat for overnight or longer?

It's an easy fix to swap out the filter for a new one. You don't have to drain the oil first. Just be prepared to catch the oil from the filter.

One thing to do is to turn your key to on without starting the engine. Let all the lights cycle through. Then start the engine. Watch for a possible brief flash of the red oil-can idiot light (low oil pressure). That's a telltale sign of a bad ADB valve.

Search the forum, it's a common problem....
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
It could be your oil filter has a bad anti-drainback valve. Does the sound mainly occur when the jeep has sat for overnight or longer?

It's an easy fix to swap out the filter for a new one. You don't have to drain the oil first. Just be prepared to catch the oil from the filter.

One thing to do is to turn your key to on without starting the engine. Let all the lights cycle through. Then start the engine. Watch for a possible brief flash of the red oil-can idiot light (low oil pressure). That's a telltale sign of a bad ADB valve.

Search the forum, it's a common problem....
Yes, when it sits and I crank it I get that. When it was turned off and then back on...no noise. I'll check that out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you update your profile to include model/year as well?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DesolationMania
Could you update your profile to include model/year as well?
Sorry, I just did. 09 JKU Rubicon
Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Also check your oil level. Low oil levels can cause dry startups as well. These motors commonly use oil without any signs
Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Also check your oil level. Low oil levels can cause dry startups as well. These motors commonly use oil without any signs
I bought this one used with 22K on the clock and have been checking on that frequently. I think mine is good to go on oil usage.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I get the same thing. I'm gonna change the oil soon, so hopefully the filter is the reason.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
How much can they use? I was really low when I changed it last, so I made a point of checking more often. Just checked today (after 2 weeks since last check) a I was down 2 liters.
It's been 3000 km since changed.

Where does it go?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines an 07 and does the same

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a ticking/nocking sound at startup?