Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone have stock 1/2 doors and leak problems?

Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have stock 1/2 doors and leak problems?

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with the factory half doors and leak problems. We've had our 2011 JK since November 2010. It's been in for leak fixes about 10 times. The weatherstripping, mucket seals and even the upper doors have all been replaced, some more than once.

We're going through the Lemon Law process and we want to get another one just like it, without the leaks. Today I asked the tech if he thought the leak had anything to do with it having half doors (knowing there are a bunch of full door JKs, and even hard tops that leak). He said it was all due to the fact that it had half doors. That has me wondering about getting half doors again.

What I really want is for someone (or someones) to tell me they have a newer JK with half doors that doesn't leak, so if our case turns out good I can order another one. We love our JK!
Click image for larger version

Name:	0201141616.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	532469
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you that with my full doors, I've had the leak fixed 14 times and it still leaks. I can't imagine half doors
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has leaked since day 1.

Car washes and really bad rain is about the only time it does though. My JK is my weekend and hunting toy. I drive a nice smooth old lady cruiser for the weekly grind.

Luckily its just water, but my interior is stripped. No carpet, no mats, no plugs, just line x all around. Shit there's still blood in the back from last seasons hunt. Only in a Jeep

Sucks you are having that much of an issue with it.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where specifically is your current leak? I have seen numerous threads with leaks from different areas.

I do have a 14 JKU and had a 13 JK that both leak/leaked. Same spot. Towards front of door near floor. I did put entry guards on both. I personally believe that is the issue. Or at least part of it. The door seals have weep holes to drain the water. I think the guards pinch the hole at this spot. The only sensible fix I have seen is to cut that hole a little larger. I haven't tried it yet though.

The other spot is just annoying as it is a design issue and unsolvable. When you open the door in a relatively heavier rain, the soft top door surrounds lip barely extends beyond the top and water runs right into the cab.

Overall though I believe they're both design issues. Hence the unsolvable attempts to stop your leaks. I am sure there is some magic mixture of door adjustment, seal alignment, etc that happens sometimes during production that luckily results in this not happening to everyone. But I have owned wranglers since the early 90s and none prior to the JK have leaked like this. I will attempt to solve the issue myself once the weather improves.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

And for the record it's not a half door full door issue. And I can say this because leaks don't occur because of the upper or where it is removed etc. the most common leak is at the bottom. And the bottom half of either door is essentially identical.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bilash31
Where specifically is your current leak? I have seen numerous threads with leaks from different areas.

I do have a 14 JKU and had a 13 JK that both leak/leaked. Same spot. Towards front of door near floor. I did put entry guards on both. I personally believe that is the issue. Or at least part of it. The door seals have weep holes to drain the water. I think the guards pinch the hole at this spot. The only sensible fix I have seen is to cut that hole a little larger. I haven't tried it yet though.

The other spot is just annoying as it is a design issue and unsolvable. When you open the door in a relatively heavier rain, the soft top door surrounds lip barely extends beyond the top and water runs right into the cab.

Overall though I believe they're both design issues. Hence the unsolvable attempts to stop your leaks. I am sure there is some magic mixture of door adjustment, seal alignment, etc that happens sometimes during production that luckily results in this not happening to everyone. But I have owned wranglers since the early 90s and none prior to the JK have leaked like this. I will attempt to solve the issue myself once the weather improves.
Our leak(s) have resulted in wet carpets (once up to 1/2 inch of water) on both sides, front. I also put entry guards (mopar) on all four entries. Are you saying that if the entry guards weren't there the leak would be solved?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pleepleus

Our leak(s) have resulted in wet carpets (once up to 1/2 inch of water) on both sides, front. I also put entry guards (mopar) on all four entries. Are you saying that if the entry guards weren't there the leak would be solved?
I am not saying that with a 100% guarantee as I haven't actually tried either removing them or cutting the weep hole. I am saying it is my #1 theory given the front lip of the entry guards and weep hole locations. I have seen a thread where someone did cut the hole larger and it solved his leak problem. I am going to work on the fix one we get some nicer weather and I will certainly report back to his thread.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM
-

Default Welcome To Owning A Jeep Wrangler

This is a common issues with soft and hard doors.. So don't feel its singled you out for one reason or another. There are three jeep wrangler in our area and all three of us have complain about this leak. Thou We've actually cut the seal back (slim line) the leaking has been reduced. Also because I have the bikini on year round and it has Velcro straps holding it in place in a few areas as well as pull tabs/straps, I've rerouted the Velcro and well as cut and remove the pull tabs which all added as a channel for the rain to enter the cabin.

Last edited by JeepWranglerNation; 03-01-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

I guess if the attorneys don't come through I'll investigate removing or modifying the entry guards and also check the spot where the master cylinder is bolted to the firewall.

Quick Reply: Anyone have stock 1/2 doors and leak problems?