Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto Tranny Reverse Failure

Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know that happens to me sometimes too? I go in reverse but it sits in neutral and it just revs. I dont know what it is but it happens rarley.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I dropped it at the dealer this morning. Hoping that they can find something simple...if not I hope that they can rebuild or replace the tranny before my vacation in two weeks. Or I will be an unhappy camper.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Initial diagnosis is something has failed in the "valve assembly" but they can't tear it apart for a couple of days to check it out. Hope it is a simple fix....or a new tranny...either will be fine for me as long as they can get it done in three weeks so I can go on vacation.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE: Finally it has made it into the shop. Upon opening up the tranny, the mechanic said it smelt like something burnt to him, although the first thing I did was check for the smell of burnt tranny fluid and didn't notice it at all. In any event, they feel the reverse band burnt up, which I am a bit suspicious of since it has slipped in drive before too. Regardless, they said they are tearing it down to rebuild it, so I guess I get a new tranny out of it. Of course I leave on a Jeep vacation on Friday, so I may be using my airplane instead as I doubt they will get it put back together that quick. It has been in the shop for two and a half weeks now to get to this point.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffD
UPDATE: Finally it has made it into the shop. Upon opening up the tranny, the mechanic said it smelt like something burnt to him, although the first thing I did was check for the smell of burnt tranny fluid and didn't notice it at all. In any event, they feel the reverse band burnt up, which I am a bit suspicious of since it has slipped in drive before too. Regardless, they said they are tearing it down to rebuild it, so I guess I get a new tranny out of it. Of course I leave on a Jeep vacation on Friday, so I may be using my airplane instead as I doubt they will get it put back together that quick. It has been in the shop for two and a half weeks now to get to this point.
So, you still get to go "off road".
Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffD
Hmph, 2 1/2 weeks ain't nuthin. Mine's been to 2 dealers and a shop 2 1/2 months Be glad if you get it back earlier than that.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

FINAL REPORT: Snap-ring on the Reverse Band broke. Not sure what all that means, but it was apparently holding something together.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

One last post and question before I close out this thread. We essentially picked up our JK from the dealer for the tranny the day before we left on a 1200 mile road trip. Tranny performed flawlessly except for one thing I never noticed before the work that was done.

Between 45 and 55 if the OD was engaged if I accelerate lightly it "hunts" between third and fourth. It doesn't try to "slip" between the two, but more of a heavy "thump, thump". At first I though it was tar snakes or something as it felt so odd, but I quickly determined it was the tranny. If I punched it out of OD it was fine.

Is this normal, does the software need to be updated? Maybe the computer has to relearn or something?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Although I dropped this thread after the warranty work, I found it interesting that yesterday morning I go to back out of the garage, and reverse is again DEAD.

Wonder if I can argue hard enough to get a new tranny instead of "repairs".

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Reverse Failure