Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

auto trans oil change, power steering failure

Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto trans oil change, power steering failure

I know, I didn't read my owner manual but I'm far from home... I'm right at 60K kilometer (40K miles) and I was tinking about changing my auto trans oil before winter by the time I will do my diff. Is it to soon or should I go for it. I have heard many things like changing only oil at first then change filter after a while.

Not wanting to mess something since warranty is over, I'm looking for somes advices. Will some type of synthetic oil is the way to go or standard petrolum base is up to the task.

any comments are welcome

On another subject, it just appear that my power steering pump quit 2 weeks ago. I have try changing oil in it 3 times just to be sure I cannot make it survive but with no success. New one at dealer is 118$can. Do somes aftermarket's one exist. Hydro assist can be in future plan so if I have to put some money right now, maybe put some more and have provision.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just read on another post that hemi pump have better displacement, is it possible to fit it easily. Could be a good upgrade.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 AM
JK Jedi

I recently looked in my maintenance schedule (A) and don't remember seeing anything about a flush and re-fill, just a check and topping off. I may do mine when I do the 60K tune-up though just to be safe. As for the synth, I think it could be a good option, especially if your JK sees harsh conditions, however I would research to make sure that whatever you use works well with the JK tranny, which I've heard can be picky about the fluid.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with P-D-M. Synthetic fluids have come of age, and are highly recommended in some instances, however make very sure the fluid you use meets or exceeds the OEM specification for the transmission, as using the incorrect fluid can leave you with a very large bill should something go wrong.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're probably right, with all problem with auto trans, I think I will wait and stay with standard fluid.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by joss097
You're probably right, with all problem with auto trans, I think I will wait and stay with standard fluid.
ATF+4, which is what is required for the JK auto transmission, IS synthetic.
Change the transmission filter at the same time.
40,000 miles is not too soon.

Quick Reply: auto trans oil change, power steering failure