Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: How is your Automatic transmission treating you?
I have NO problems, my transmission works great
85.31%
I am starting to have problems requring a visit to the dealer
9.77%
My transmission is a constant problem and has already been to the dealer
4.92%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL

Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have had one more option -- Had one problem and blam, the industries first ever '4 different stacks at one time' paperweight.

Don't need to say anything besides didn't really have any problems until one day -- and the rest is in the Auto Tranny Puked thread.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

11K. So far no problems with ours.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no probs for me.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

no problems 20k
Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17K and mine has been a nightmare. Wish I'd bought a six speed (or better yet a Toyota).
Old 05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi

3800 K and its a nightmare. Shudder and the Torque Converter is acting up all the time. Been to the dealer three times with no fix.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

3800 with no problems.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by smith jk
shudder from day 1 first to second

Knock on wood no problems here yet, put on ~ 1800 miles...
Does the shudder happen when you manually shift from 1st to 2nd? or is it when the auto trans starts searching/shifting gears on its own? Thanks..
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

I have a KJ with the 42RLE and about 60,000 miles on it.

I've seen a few people complaining that something is wrong with their trans because the torque converter won't unlock sometimes. This is typical chrysler programming and not a problem. On my KJ if I'm going 65 - 75 for whatever reason the torque converter refuses to unlock. If I start going up a hill I actually start losing speed. My foot goes deeper and deeper into the throttle as the truck slows down until it just about touches the floor. At that point the torque converter unlocks the trans now drops down to second and engine shoots up to 6,000 rpm and the truck takes off like a bat out of hell.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to not be able to maintain speed up a hill in a 215 horsepower truck with 3.73s. I complained to the dealer several times about it. Then I found out It's "normal" for the KJs talking to other owners.

I also had a problem with a downshift clunk that was fixed with a software update.

I also had a problem where it wouldn't go into gear sometimes that was fixed by replacement of the front pump.

Lastly I had a problem with delayed engagement on cold mornings when the truck was cold. I'd put it in drive and it would take 10 seconds to engage. This stopped last year. I think my CVI's (these are the values the computer stores for the learned thickness of the clutches) were out of whack and the computer finally learned some appropriate values.

So needless to say the 42RLE isn't my favorite transmission. My Mother had an early KJ with the 45RFE and that trans was much better behaved!

When I ordered my Rubicon a few weeks ago, I opted for the 6-speed.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Doc_D
I have a KJ with the 42RLE and about 60,000 miles on it.

I've seen a few people complaining that something is wrong with their trans because the torque converter won't unlock sometimes. This is typical chrysler programming and not a problem. On my KJ if I'm going 65 - 75 for whatever reason the torque converter refuses to unlock. If I start going up a hill I actually start losing speed. My foot goes deeper and deeper into the throttle as the truck slows down until it just about touches the floor. At that point the torque converter unlocks the trans now drops down to second and engine shoots up to 6,000 rpm and the truck takes off like a bat out of hell.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to not be able to maintain speed up a hill in a 215 horsepower truck with 3.73s. I complained to the dealer several times about it. Then I found out It's "normal" for the KJs talking to other owners.

I also had a problem with a downshift clunk that was fixed with a software update.

I also had a problem where it wouldn't go into gear sometimes that was fixed by replacement of the front pump.

Lastly I had a problem with delayed engagement on cold mornings when the truck was cold. I'd put it in drive and it would take 10 seconds to engage. This stopped last year. I think my CVI's (these are the values the computer stores for the learned thickness of the clutches) were out of whack and the computer finally learned some appropriate values.

So needless to say the 42RLE isn't my favorite transmission. My Mother had an early KJ with the 45RFE and that trans was much better behaved!

When I ordered my Rubicon a few weeks ago, I opted for the 6-speed.
So your saying that this wont adversely affect the transmission over time? What is a KJ? I only know of YJ, TJ and CJ. And if this is normal how come everyone's TC isnt having these unlock problems..

Quick Reply: Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL