Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Automatic transmission lock

Old 11-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Automatic transmission lock

Automatic tranny glitch?

Ok, yesterday i pulled up to a stop in a parking lot, put the thing into park, and sat there for a few minutes, went to go back into drive, no-go.

It absolutely would not shift out of park at all! I shut it off, started it, spun the wheel, moved the 4wd shift through it's entire range, nothing. Solidly stuck in park.

I had to remove the little plastic plug on the center console near the shifter & depress the little white "Automatic transmission lock manual over ride" now it shifts fine, but why did it do that?

The manual says to take it back to the dealer, i can do that, but why? What does pressing that dumb button do besides allowing me to actually shift the thing into gear and drive it?

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
The manual says to take it back to the dealer, i can do that, but why?
Because it's under warranty, and their responsability is to fix what's wrong with it so that you don't have to wonder every time you shift it to park if it's going to come out like it should.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Eternal ***erator

Yeah, i understand the warranty thing, i just want to know what the release does. I have a bad (sometimes) habit of taking things apart to see how they work & this peaks my curiosity. It will get checked at the dealer, but i wondered if anyone knew more about it so i dont just get some lamo excuse/claim from the dealer as to what the problem was & what the cure is.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is an interlock between the brake pedal and the shifter. It is there to make you press on the brakes before shifting out of park. It is implemented using a cable. One would suspect the cable needs to be adjusted. I had a 1996 Grand Cherokee that would do this once every couple years. Be glad they added the release feature! There wasn't one of the Grand Cherokee and you just had to fight with it until it unlocked. Real bummer.

The thing that gets me is if you press the button on the shifter BEFORE you press on the brakes, it will not unlock. Press on the brakes all you want and press on the button all you want. It will not unlock until you release the button completely and press it again. I seem to do this every couple days.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Thanks! that is the kind of info i was looking for.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took me a few times to realize the sequence of the Auto tanny shifter also. Push button, then brake....arg.... won't budge...release brake...release button....now push on brake and then button....ahhhh shifts out of Park....

Did I miss that in the manual somewhere???

Marc
Old 12-24-2006, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine ends up being stuborn sometimes also, and I have to try several times to get it out of park... I'm making a list of problems to take to the dealer soon....
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default this is my first post HELLO

I am waiting for my rubicon unlimited with the 2.8 CRD diesel in it.
Does anybody know if it will mount this same tranny?
Thanks

Eduardo:confused:

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission lock