Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle Seal Leak....stopped?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Seal Leak....stopped?

I had some leaking on my front passenger side axle seal...saw some drops on the garage floor and some residue on the Jeep.

Now that it is a warmer, was going to check it further, but does not seem to be leaking now. Dry on the Jeep, and cleaned the floor well, and no new leaks appearing.

Can things like temperature (it WAS winter/cold when I saw it) create a leak, or can a seal leak just stop?

I guess I should check the level....I suppose the diff could be empty too?

Grant
Old 05-10-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Definitely check the fluid level.

Several years ago I had a leaking passenger's side front axle seal. I checked the level, cleaned up the residue, and kept an eye on it.
It has not leaked since.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same issue on my 2012 with less than 2,000 miles. Took it in, and had the seals replaced under warranty. Non-lubricated moving parts = broken parts.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have ever had your axles out some oil could have leaked out a bit and its taken a while to seep down the tube.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine has an on-again / off-again leak on the passenger side.

I know the seal is bad because if I drop the passenger side of the axle (that is, go offroad or remove the wheel and let the suspension hang), it'll start leaking a day or so later. If I can keep the JK pretty level (on road all the time), the axle is pretty well fine.

Quick Reply: Axle Seal Leak....stopped?