Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle Seal Replacement Question

Old 07-15-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Seal Replacement Question

I blew an axle seal in my front D30 axle while on John Bull in Big Bear, CA. Leaking gear oil all over the place. I think I may have damaged it while installing my Aussie Locker.

Are axle seals covered under warranty? If yes, then will my installing a locker void that warranty?

How tough are they to replace? I know the axle will come out, but any special pullers needed? Any tricks? inner seal? Outer?

Thanks for suggestions....

Last edited by dpoelstra; 07-15-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
... I think I may have damaged it ...Are axle seals covered under warranty? If yes, then will my installing a locker void that warranty?

How tough are they to replace? I know the axle will come out, but any special pullers needed? Any tricks? inner seal? Outer?

Thanks for suggestions....
I think that since YOU probably damaged it, that YOU should expect to either replace it yourself or pay to have someone do it. With that said, if you can install a locker yourself, you can also replace an axle seal yourself. There are no outer seals on the front, only inner seals. You will need a seal puller and some seal drivers. You may be able to rent these from a local auto parts store, but they are handy to have around if you have to buy them. The cost of the tools will definately offset what it would cost you to pay someone else to do it. You will have to remove the differential carrier to get to the seal, which is located behind the carrier bearing races. The old seal is pried out and the new one is driven in. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

I am looking at a 2nd set of fron axel sealed on my Rubi Unlimited.
Id bring it in and mention they are leaking.
Might be able to get them done under warrantee without mentioning the locker.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Any idea how much does it cost to have the seal replace?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's all labor. the seal only cost 12.00. figure a shop will take 2-4hours in labor cost
Old 01-22-2016, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seals are relatively easy to replace. They are covered under your factory 100k km warranty.

Problem is that they might refuse it since you have an after market locker and whoever reinstalled the shafts could of damaged the seals.

Usually takes me an afternoon and evening to do them with a friend on a driveway. Talking and breaking for beer and other mod ideas normally takes awhile so I imagine an actual shop could do it in a few hours.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Thank you for you help.
So i figure the dealer will take 4 hours and the bill will be around $500
I hope that the 7 year/70K extended warranty covers it.!!

Quick Reply: Axle Seal Replacement Question