Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle u joints bad at 41000 miles out of warranty chrysler will only cover 50%

Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle u joints bad at 41000 miles out of warranty chrysler will only cover 50%

Is this a good deal opinions.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepsta
Is this a good deal opinions.
Are you the original owner of your 2009 JK, with no mods that would impact the u-joints?

If so they should cover the entire cost.

If not, 50% is a good deal, if they don't jack up the price to begin with. (Unless, of course you can do it yourself.)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Are you the original owner of your 2009 JK, with no mods that would impact the u-joints?

If so they should cover the entire cost.

If not, 50% is a good deal, if they don't jack up the price to begin with. (Unless, of course you can do it yourself.)
No not original bought with 3000 miles on it
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're lucky that you're getting half covered. I had to replace mine at 65000 kms. On my dime.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cheaper alternative might be pull your half shaft out with the bad u-joint and take it down to Pep Boyz or some other local shop and have them press a new u-joint in. They did mine for $60 took about 1/2 an hour.

New lifetime warranty u-joint at Napa autoparts was $30 (Duralast GOLD U-joint. PN 1-0297DG.)
So less than a $100 total and I had the Jeep all buttoned up and back on the road in a couple hours.

Pulling the axle shaft was easier than I thought it would be. Basic hand tools and a rubber mallet, 15-20 min tops to remove.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LOST
A cheaper alternative might be pull your half shaft out with the bad u-joint and take it down to Pep Boyz or some other local shop and have them press a new u-joint in. They did mine for $60 took about 1/2 an hour.

New lifetime warranty u-joint at Napa autoparts was $30 (Duralast GOLD U-joint. PN 1-0297DG.)
So less than a $100 total and I had the Jeep all buttoned up and back on the road in a couple hours.

Pulling the axle shaft was easier than I thought it would be. Basic hand tools and a rubber mallet, 15-20 min tops to remove.
Well did not replace pro muffler brake shop said they were bad and that's y I herd a pop noise when turning at full lock at times not a constant pop just once and that's it. Took to dealer they said they would cover half got in on lift today they said all looked good but could not trace down that noise.

Quick Reply: Axle u joints bad at 41000 miles out of warranty chrysler will only cover 50%