Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bag Stuck in Intake

Old 01-23-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know how it could of happened besides coming from the road. Does anyone know what kind of potential damage it could have done? I was able to pull most of the bag out. Should I try to crank it up and see if the rest would pass or anything?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Taznc
I do not know how it could of happened besides coming from the road. Does anyone know what kind of potential damage it could have done? I was able to pull most of the bag out. Should I try to crank it up and see if the rest would pass or anything?
I'll go out on a limb here. There is no way that it came in from the road. Someone opened your hood and stuffed it into the intake. It's not like swallowing a penny as a kid; it won't pass. I would check everything, look in your throttle body, replace the air filter and start it up. I can understand if you're not comfortable with that so have the dealer then check it out for you. They're more equipped to take the unit apart. Get the locking gas cap. You don't need a foreign substance in there to ruin your engine.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This highlights how vulnerable JK's are to under-hood tampering;when is Chrysler going to put a real inside hood release on these? I've seen one on the forum that could qualify,but the after-market ones will corrode,freeze & be more trouble than not.Do the European/export JKs have them? Come Spring,I'm hitting the junk yard to raid Cherokees,whatever will give a factory type release set-up..
Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to admit this is the craziest #$@% i've heard in a long time.. a full bag in your intake?...That's some crazy #@%#..
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be honest, you put a bread bag around your air filter to keep it dry, didn't you?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo
Be honest, you put a bread bag around your air filter to keep it dry, didn't you?
Well, somebody did it. Human intervention is the only logical possibility.

Is it a stock intake system?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

A jk with an inside release for the hood??? that's unheard of...it just wouldnb't be the same...just get hood locks
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah it is stock intake. What kind of damage could it have done? I think I am going to have it towed to a shop tomorrow but I have no idea what they would need to do.

Last edited by Taznc; 01-23-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yall know mopar sells a hood lock for about 125.00 that codes to the ignition key of our jeep jk. Its encased in a heavy steel suround that rivits to the jeep in factory provided existing holes.
I have one installed and i have tried to break into it afterwards using the tools iny garage (withouy destroying the hood or grill) and was unable to break in so i feel good about it
It is worth the peice of mind, around here i was hearing stories of batteries getting stolen and wiring getting cut by pranksters and i wanted to protect my jk and let them find an easier target to tamper with.

If u have an aftermarket oil cooler this lock kit will make the oil cooler install very interesting to be sure! Especially if u ran braided flex lines to the cooler!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taznc
Yeah it is stock intake. What kind of damage could it have did? I think I am going to have it towed to a shop tomorrow but I have no idea what they would need to do.
A piece of the bag could get into the engine, sucked into a cylinder and either get burned up and spit out or it could melt into a gooey mess in your cylinder.

The shop should replace the air filter. They should then inspect the airbox for damage. It may have vacuumed in on itself and cracked the plastic. Then they will remove the hose from the air box to the plenum. If they don't see anything down in the plenum they will probably start the engine and tell you everything is ok.

Any pieces of the bag could (might) pass through the cylinders but then... I don't know how it would affect the catalytic converter.

Last edited by Vernnz; 01-23-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Bag Stuck in Intake