Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Balancing tires after powdercoating them

Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing tires after powdercoating them

My friend is hooking me up with getting my rims powder coated for a very reasonable price ($250 for five). I have to leave it there overnight, I'm assuming they'll leave my jeep hoisted while they powdercoat them. Now I don't have the details on what the whole process entails quite yet, but should they balance the tires after everything is put back on? And say if they didn't, should I drive to the dealer and have them balanced or should I be ok driving on them?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

From what I know of powder coating, everything has to be sandblasted first, and then after the item is sprayed, it has to bake in a really hot oven for a while, to melt the powder into a hard coating. Therefore, the tires must come off, and all of the previously mounted wheel weights will come off, so unless they rebalance them for you when they remount the tires, you'll have to get the tires rebalanced. I wouldn't go to a dealer for that though, your local tire shop will do that for you cheap.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even doing passenger and commercial tires the most important thing is putting the valve stem in the same location.

This nearly eliminates the need for balancing again. Even if they plug em at a discount tire or somewhere else. Remove it, plug it, slap it on, say bye bye.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup if there doing a REAL powder coat it needs to be baked and there going to have to pull your tires off and they will need to be rebalanced. If there leaving the rubber on there not powder coating there painting.
Originally Posted by tjkamp
From what I know of powder coating, everything has to be sandblasted first, and then after the item is sprayed, it has to bake in a really hot oven for a while, to melt the powder into a hard coating. Therefore, the tires must come off, and all of the previously mounted wheel weights will come off, so unless they rebalance them for you when they remount the tires, you'll have to get the tires rebalanced. I wouldn't go to a dealer for that though, your local tire shop will do that for you cheap.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my rims and love them a couple things to be concerned :
1) American tire recommends two days of cure time before mounting the tires back on the rims ...but my my powder coat guy says there is no cure time needed ..so ???

2) if you're running true bead lock rims then you will need to run a tap down the threads of the rim and blow out all the extra sandblast/powder coat material before trying to mount your beads ...otherwise you will break bolts and it's a PIA to fix.

3) finally make sure you clean off the extra powder coating on the center hub area of the rim otherwise your rim may not sit flush against the wheel hub
Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-668002647.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	669144

Quick Reply: Balancing tires after powdercoating them