Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ball joints

Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joints

How do I know if my ball joints are warn out? Is there a specific sound? I went to 4wheelparts they mounted my new tires and advised me that I needed new ball joints and hubs that there was too much play in them. So I went to my jeep dealership advised them and they said that nothing was wrong with my jeep. I don't know who to believe!! I've heard that its dangerous to drive with warn out ball joints. Any suggestions??
Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed....
Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Move your joint out of the way and grab your balls firmly. Jerk them side to side and check for excessive play, loud noises or radical vibrations. If all else fails drive over a diagonal railroad track at about 65 MPH. That'll tell you.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, I haven't done this on a solid axle front end, but it should work about the same way as IFS front ends:

Put the axle housing on jack stands to take the weight off the wheels. Get under the C with a long pry bar or bottle jack. Lift the C a bit while someone else works the wheel left-right and/or you use a prybar to force lateral motion between the C and the spindle. The idea is to get the ball joints unloaded so they will move freely without the influence of springs or gravity. Look at the taper shafts coming out of the ball joints to see if they have side play. Also use the pry bar and see if there is any up-down play between the C and the spindle.

If your joint is in the way, support it like you would any other heavy apparatus.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi

I knew my joint were bad by the way me Jeep handled. I would get a shimmy on long sweeping turns. I then checked them for play. Search around the stock threads for info on how to check them for yourself.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turbo
Move your joint out of the way and grab your balls firmly. Jerk them side to side and check for excessive play, loud noises or radical vibrations. If all else fails drive over a diagonal railroad track at about 65 MPH. That'll tell you.
This post is just begging for a "that's what she said"

Quick Reply: Ball joints