Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Basic Tool Kit

Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Tool Kit

I was looking for a small tool kit to keep in my Jeep the other day. They all seem like to much or to little. Perhaps I can just put a small tool bag together myself with only the tools I need. I have a stock 07 JK 4 door X unlimited. What tools and what size wenches would you keep at a minimum in your Jeep?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the sears 145 mechanics tool set, comes with a box, I added torx to it. I also got a military tool bag I got from the surplus store. So, more torx's and a few wenches are always in the bag that is in that pretend compartment. Also, have some stuff where the tire jack goes, hammer, maglight and few other small stuff. When I go wheelin, I throw in the tool set as well. I have just he two door and it does not take that much space with the seat out.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to a tool kit that is being developed by a vendor. It has a list of JK specific tools, i.e. if a particular size socket or wrench will not fit a fastener on a JK it is not listed. Hope it helps.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=tool+kit
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

There is a lot of info on that thread. I am trying to keep it somewhat simple but if woods get this figured out that might be a great idea.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took his list and ran with it. I spent some bucks acquiring the necessities but it is nice to have a comprehensive trail bag.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My best advise about this is from my enduro days where space & weight are critical. Now i drive a 2dr, so space is still critical.

Assemble your kit with whatever you think you need, then ONLY use your kit to work on your Jeep. Do NOT use your garage tool collection. Do this for everything from minor to major maintenance. This way you will learn quickly what you need, and dont need in the tool bag. You will also learn quality matters in tools for the trail, even more so than the ones at home. At home you can go get another ratchet. on the trail you are effed. I cant tell you how many times i have seen people with cheap cheesy tools in trail bags. That is the LAST place you should skimp on cost/quality. You'll only make that mistake once though.

If you always use the big box in the garage, you will always end up short something you need on the trail. My 2c based on years of never having the right flippin tool when i needed it 20 miles from home.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

Don't forget a bag of zip ties.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
I save some cash and wheel in front of you so if I break down you can help!!
Thats cool. Trail Side Axles go for a premium. :

And DJSJK50, those are 'quick fists'
Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
My best advise about this is from my enduro days where space & weight are critical. Now i drive a 2dr, so space is still critical.

Assemble your kit with whatever you think you need, then ONLY use your kit to work on your Jeep. Do NOT use your garage tool collection. Do this for everything from minor to major maintenance. This way you will learn quickly what you need, and dont need in the tool bag. You will also learn quality matters in tools for the trail, even more so than the ones at home. At home you can go get another ratchet. on the trail you are effed. I cant tell you how many times i have seen people with cheap cheesy tools in trail bags. That is the LAST place you should skimp on cost/quality. You'll only make that mistake once though.

If you always use the big box in the garage, you will always end up short something you need on the trail. My 2c based on years of never having the right flippin tool when i needed it 20 miles from home.
This is great advice. I haven't don't much (any) work to my Jeep yet. I will need to soon but until then I'll work on my list.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Sheet metal screws and Quick Fist Clamps!
Thanks! I need to get some of these. Great place to put a shove and ax.

Quick Reply: Basic Tool Kit