Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bent axle

Old 09-09-2016, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent axle

How do you know an axle is bent? How do you check to see if it is bent?
Old 09-09-2016, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First indication is if it looks like wheels are either tipped in or out too much at the top .. Wheel alignment spec will confirm greatly out of spec camber figures.
Second, continuous oil seal leaks and possible axle binding and vibrations.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I first noticed my front axle just looked bent. It was bent, proven at a shop. It was bent so slightly, I have never done anything about it. I bet that was 7 years ago. There is really no other indication that it is bent and I have had no problems so, when I do I'll replace it !
Old 09-10-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by OverKill
How do you know an axle is bent? How do you check to see if it is bent?
Here's what I've done: Jack up the axle and have someone spin the tire/wheel while looking at it from the front or rear. If the axle flange is bent (or the wheel messed up) you'll see wobble (run-out). One can put a pop can or something next to the side of the tire as a reference, watching for a gap deviation (wobble) as the tire rotates.

Of course one can use a dial indicator to check axle flange run-out precisely, but usually a good eye ball will spot a significant problem.

A bent axle flange scuffs the tire rubber every rotation and causes excess tire wear on that particular tire -- Many years ago that's what led me find a bent axle flange on my old Ford 4X4. Obviously better to catch it before that happens...

Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

To the OP. Are you talking axle shafts or axle housing. ??? Front or rear. ??
Old 09-10-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Front axle housing

I have noticed when the tires are straight forward, the passenger side is pointed ever so slightly to the outside. There was a leak at the passenger side axle onto the C. Took it to the dealership to replace the seal. Worked for a little while and started leaking again.

I will try the suggestions. I guess I might be in the market for a new front axle or new to me.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Dang -- Wish I'd asked that before replying...
Old 09-10-2016, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OverKill
Front axle housing I have noticed when the tires are straight forward, the passenger side is pointed ever so slightly to the outside. There was a leak at the passenger side axle onto the C. Took it to the dealership to replace the seal. Worked for a little while and started leaking again. I will try the suggestions. I guess I might be in the market for a new front axle or new to me.
One Tire turned slightly out while the other is straight would be wheel alignment "toe out".. That can be adjusted. Oil seal is a possible indicator of a bent housing or it could also be a bad instal job.

Quick Reply: Bent axle