Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best CB Location

Old 09-05-2016, 01:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best CB Location

What's the best location for mounting a CB in the 2013 JK? I'm going to use the cigarette lighter adapter for power, if there is one
Old 09-05-2016, 02:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a whole forum here on CB and ham radio. This thread should be moved there.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...r-jeep-227276/
Old 09-05-2016, 10:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I use my cig lighter too and just Velcro my radio to the passenger side center console that way I remove it when not on the trail.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

If you're using the CB very infrequently--more as an emergency--then it likely won't matter, but as a practice all radio equipment CB, ham radio, etc., should be wired directly to the battery.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by arjeeper
If you're using the CB very infrequently--more as an emergency--then it likely won't matter, but as a practice all radio equipment CB, ham radio, etc., should be wired directly to the battery.
Been using mine like this for 2 years and works great. Uniden actually says it's fine. I use it this way on the trail as do most of the people I go with. We talk a lot of smack on the trail with no issues.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes, it should work. I'm just talking best practice (after years of use and study in radio and radio frequencies).
Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Yes, it should work. I'm just talking best practice (after years of use and study in radio and radio frequencies).
I agree it's best to have it hard wired and I doubt company trucks and truckers use the power jack. If I did not remove mine I would hard wire but I hate having it in unless offroading
Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll admit the power port can sometimes be used to power a CB but I would always advise running direct power from the battery. You can put a connector on it for quick install and removal and tuck the connector up under the dash when the radio is out. Radios can leak RF signal back up the power feed. That can be detrimental when RF gets into the dash harness. I have seen some very strange things due to 'stray RF' over the years.

It it is a rather quick thing to run power wires to the battery for a ham or CB radio in a jk. I think I spent 10 minutes doing it. Plus, this leaves my accessory port open for other accessories. 30+ years of mobile communications has taught me that nothing beats a set of power wires (positive and negative) straight from radio to battery.

Anyway, just more info for consideration. Enjoy the jeep!
Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The choice to use a cigarette lighter adapter was not the issue here in this thread, even though this thread was mislocated apparently.

It's about locations inside the cab that are available. I've been installing CB's in vehicles for many years, and so I realize it's more about convenience and where there is some solid material to screw the bracket into, and so forth.

I was hoping for some ideas based on other peoples installations of CB's in 2013 Wranglers. Pictures would be nice. I have my own ideas but am willing to entertain others.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this bracket. Nice, clean, steady and doesn't mess up the trim in any way.

https://www.strikeforcezebra.com/cbg...detector_mount

Quick Reply: Best CB Location