Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stains on Paint - How to remove???

Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stains on Paint - How to remove???

After moving to Florida about a year ago I started to notice bluish pearl looking stains on the top of my jeep. These stains are only on the top of the jeep for the most part (hood, hardtop, roofrack). They are extremely hard to remove. Does anyone know what this is from or how to remove them? I haven't found anything like it on the internet and a professional car detailer that I talked to said it might be sap from the trees.

Please post if you have seen anything similar or know how to remove it!! Im going CRAZY trying to figure out how to get rid of them!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like it could be bird poop. If it is, I believe it's the acid in it that can actually eat the paint. As soon as I notice bird poop I hose it off. As far as fixing it, I have no clue. Maybe someone else will chime in
Old 01-26-2018, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm I don't believe it is bird poop. I do the same thing as you and wash the poo off immediately.

I am really thinking it's something from the trees here is Florida. I have palm trees all around my driveway and I didn't start seeing this in till I moved here from west Texas. The thing that gets me is that I cant seem to find anyone with the same problem.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it were me, I'd use Meguiars Cleaner-Wax. If that doesn't work, Meguiars Ultimate compound, although be careful, that will go through the clear coat if you push it, and with a power buffer it may find its way to the primer. Ask me how I know.

If you want to try to get it off with a solvent rather than an abrasive compound, then you might try 90% rubbing alcohol or acetone. Neither one should damage a factory automotive paint (catalyzed urethane enamel) but they will remove wax for sure. Don't get near anything painted with a lacquer with acetone, it'll take it right off. Basically avoid cleaning rattle can paint with any solvent since it's tough to know which one might take off which paint.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cleaner wax has a very mild grit you should be alright. You can also try a clay bar. Those work great for rail dust.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had similar spots on mine from the oily rainbow mud. Wax won't take it out. I tried the meguiars cleaner twice. Get a mequiars clay bar kit and a couple bottles of the quick detailer spray as a lubricant. It will work. It will take you 2 hours to clean he entire jeep but it will work and the clay is not abrasive.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for all the suggestions. I don't have experience with a power buffer so i'm going to try to stay away from that option. I tried the rubbing alcohol with no success. I also tired a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it worked great but i'm concerned that it is an abrasive and will leave marks.

I'm going to try the Mequiars clay bar kit with the quick detailer spray and see what happens.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call somebody at Autogeek. They have some great vids on YouTube also. The hardtop stains I would and have used a black Sharpie
Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Da20captain
The hardtop stains I would and have used a black Sharpie
For the hardtop, you can get a small can of black hard top paint. Sometimes it's hard to come by.....and is backordered a lot. Quadratec is easiest for that particular item. It's a perfect match and is more of a lacquer than typical rattle can. I've used it to touch up a few scratches and trail nicks.

I'd agree.....Mr Clean Magic Eraser prob not the best thing to use on auto body. Clay bars are a pain to use, but safe and typically have good results. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Cleaner Polishing Wax and the foam pad of your choice, on a buffer. I did my doors with these this past summer, took off all stains and looked like glass when I was done.

Quick Reply: Stains on Paint - How to remove???