Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best product to shine stock plastic bumpers

Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by klutchdust
why not just spray peanut oil? I don't doubt things like this because i was trout fishing and catching nothing and the man next to me was putting a drop of WD-40 on his power bait and catching fish, i kid u not and i don't drink...
lol, my grandfather use to do that, but he thought that WD-40 was great for everything
Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know, I had squirrels chew on my hood latches and leave teeth marks in them.

I'm pretty sure if I rubbed peanut butter on my bumper there would soon be chew holes through it.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
lol, my grandfather use to do that, but he thought that WD-40 was great for everything

I spray it liberally under the Jk after a high pressure spraying and also my quad and i don't know if it does anything but I feel better. The boots on the quad haven't dried out or cracked and a few minor squeaks went away.
The wd on the fishbait? My buddies laughed at me about that. I haven't tried it....
Old 07-17-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback. I will work start with the 303. If that doesn't work I will try the others.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by klutchdust
why not just spray peanut oil? I don't doubt things like this because i was trout fishing and catching nothing and the man next to me was putting a drop of WD-40 on his power bait and catching fish, i kid u not and i don't drink...
wd40 is fish oil, so that would be why.

you could also use it for arthritis

also i believe there is a website just for locating stores that sell 303, but i cant remember it. 90% of the results will be "west marine" tho
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camping World carries 303 - Just picked it up today after reading this thread.
Ab-so-freak-ing-lute-ly the best stuff I have ever used on Jeep fenders and plastic!!!!
They also make a soft top product. Gonna try it after I replenish my bank account, the 303 was $18...... but well worth it!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

303 is the best ............Ace Hardware carries it.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warlord
wd40 is fish oil, so that would be why.

you could also use it for arthritis
If you're not joking about this, I believe your a bit off base.

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients. WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil. However, the WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product.

For the past 15 years, Ive been using Mothers Back to Black, and it seemed to do the job. About 5 years ago, along with B to B, I started using using 303 also, and I must say all the black plastic and rubber seem to look better and did not collect as much dist.
Here in the last 8 months or so I began using Turtle Wax Ice, (the liquid), and I'm impressed.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DARB
Camping World carries 303 - Just picked it up today after reading this thread.
Ab-so-freak-ing-lute-ly the best stuff I have ever used on Jeep fenders and plastic!!!!
They also make a soft top product. Gonna try it after I replenish my bank account, the 303 was $18...... but well worth it!!!

A friend and I stopped by Ace over lunch so I could pick up a bottle of 303, was 18 bucks for a small bottle. I asked if he wanted to get some as well, he laughed at me a bit because of the price. I told him everyone on the internet forum said it was good stuff, but he passed on it anyway.

A few days later, he went back and got a bottle. He hasn't stopped talking about how great it is since then. hehe.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bought 303 at local Ace hardware. At first I was unimpressed with the result. I walked back out to the garage 30 mins later and DAMN. The black is back!!!

Quick Reply: Best product to shine stock plastic bumpers