Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bikini Top and Full Door Gaps

Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joedude
I'd like to get a bikini top, but from what I've just read, it seems that its not possible to seal the top to the cargo area... rains alot here and with the subwoofer in the back that could (will) be a problem.

Anyone know if there is a bikini top that seals to the cargo area or if there's a way to DIY?
You can get the duster and windjammer. Other than that, no, there has never been a bikini made that "seals" the entire Jeep. Only tops do that.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

cool thanks !
Old 05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have a pic of this setup? Esp. how/where it attahces to the surrounds? If it attaches to the door surrounds, then it's alot more weather-resistant than I thought.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Anybody have a pic of this setup? Esp. how/where it attahces to the surrounds? If it attaches to the door surrounds, then it's alot more weather-resistant than I thought.
Attaches just like the soft top would. Seals to the front. Only has that big hole in the back.

I had the bikini on my two door TJ and only had water leaks at the corners (it had the old header system though), and the entire back. However, I also had the duster, and as long as I always barked nose uphill, never had standing water in the Jeep.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Solution -$10

I went to Home Depot the other day and got a 1" PVC Pipe and the foam insulation that goes around it. I cut it to length and installed it between the rollbar and doors and wrapped the safari top around it. It rained over the weekend and it is completely sealed. no rain in the cabin. It is not the prettiest looking fix, but am thinking of a way to make a decent looking one.... possibly getting a 3" x 2" rubber bar and cut it to fit.

On a side note, I will be going to an upholstery shop within the next few days to see if they can make me a water-tight windjammer. If they can and if someone is interested, I'll make sure they keep the blueprints on how they made it.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by simon
I went to Home Depot the other day and got a 1" PVC Pipe and the foam insulation that goes around it. I cut it to length and installed it between the rollbar and doors and wrapped the safari top around it. It rained over the weekend and it is completely sealed. no rain in the cabin. It is not the prettiest looking fix, but am thinking of a way to make a decent looking one.... possibly getting a 3" x 2" rubber bar and cut it to fit.

On a side note, I will be going to an upholstery shop within the next few days to see if they can make me a water-tight windjammer. If they can and if someone is interested, I'll make sure they keep the blueprints on how they made it.

What about a foam swimming pool "noodle" ?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fathomgreencamaro
What about a foam swimming pool "noodle" ?
If you can live with the funky color... i guess it would work 'ok'

although, the pool noodles have a less dense foam compared to the pipe insulation, so it may not have as good sealing capabilities.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about just getting the plastic door suurounds. I think I would rather shell out a couple of bucks than have swimming pool noodles and still leaking!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
What about just getting the plastic door suurounds. I think I would rather shell out a couple of bucks than have swimming pool noodles and still leaking!
not to mention it would look better!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

here are some quick pics I snapped of my bikini top and door surrounds...

Quick Reply: Bikini Top and Full Door Gaps