Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Boat towing

Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat towing

Hello guys and gals,

Looking at buying a 20' center console boat off craigslist. The only issue I have is the weight of the boat. It weighs right around 3500lbs, the limit of my JKU. Does anyone have any experience pulling a boat...or anything this heavy with your jeep? Really like the boat but not sure what problems I may have?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ISSY
Hello guys and gals,

Looking at buying a 20' center console boat off craigslist. The only issue I have is the weight of the boat. It weighs right around 3500lbs, the limit of my JKU. Does anyone have any experience pulling a boat...or anything this heavy with your jeep? Really like the boat but not sure what problems I may have?
I have a jku and a 3500lb sailboat, I am comfortable towing it very short distances at slow speed but that's about it. I rent a truck for launching and especially retrieving that much of a load out of the water on the steep ramp we have at the lake. I actually am selling the boat to get something I can trailer-sail that has a displacement of only 1000 as that's all I trust the jk to COMFORTABLY tow long distances and launch/retrieve without straining anything.

That being said, My father uses a 90's ford aerostar minivan with a 3.0 V6 to tow and launch his 19' Mako and 18' Wellcraft fishing boats, but again they are only 2000lbs and the ramp he uses isn't as steep
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest and smartest answer - get a truck if you want a big boat and to be safe for your self & other drivers. Or look at small boats
Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I have covered this topic many times. This is not legal advice, but the JKU is fine towing up to 4500 pounds. In the US, the value is artificially derated for some reason, likely due to the fact that the top does not protect occupants in a crash. The exact same gas powered JKU is rated for higher loads in other countries. Also, the jeep liberty is rated for 5,000. That is lighter, skinnier, shorter, and has less power than the JKU. I tow a toy hauler that has a dry weight of 3500 and a loaded weight of around 4500. I have towed it thousands of miles now with my 2012, manual trans with max tow package. I take all safety precautions. Dual axle trailer brakes, sway control, weight distribution hitch, never exceed 65mph.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I have towed it thousands of miles now with my 2012, manual trans with max tow package. I take all safety precautions. Dual axle trailer brakes, sway control, weight distribution hitch, never exceed 65mph.
Big difference in power from your 3.6 to the 3.8. I bought a 20' travel trailer with a dry weight of about 3000 and did not like the way my JKU pulled it so bought a 5.7 Hemi Ram.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs

Big difference in power from your 3.6 to the 3.8. I bought a 20' travel trailer with a dry weight of about 3000 and did not like the way my JKU pulled it so bought a 5.7 Hemi Ram.
Yes. I knew I wanted to tow, so I got the 3.6 with max tow package. I also replaced diff fluid with synthetic.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

The one difference with a boat in a saltwater environment is you can never trust your trailer brakes will be there when you need them. Had an underwear changing event it a YJ pulling what I thought was a light boat but it was raining and had to swerve off the road to avoid stopped traffic. Went to a cheap V8 pickup. Be safe.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2 cents. Most of us can tow just about anything. I did tow my pop-up camper home from the place i purchased. Had the stock tires on and just the hitch with no sway control or weight distribution. I towed it about 75 miles. On the flat I was okay but when I hit the hills the 3.8 was a working and I was rowing gears. The other was the 20' length did pull a bit when big trucks passed by. I do have a 2012 RAM now along with my Jeep. The RAM will be the tow vehicle.
I would think if it had a bit more power and I added all the hitch control, I might have pulled it but was afraid it would always be at the max.
Trailer is about 2800lbs dry and will be about 3200lbs when camping ready. Tongue weight is about 350lbs but it did not sag the Jeep too much with the suspension lift in it.
Stay safe.
Mandor6863
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
Big difference in power from -------a 5.7 Hemi Ram.
. I think anybody would agree to this. And most would agree that they can't afford to do what you did.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
. I think anybody would agree to this. And most would agree that they can't afford to do what you did.
I agree with you, and I guess I am kind of lucky in this respect. I was just pointing out that I did not feel the JKU with the 3.8 was a good tow vehicle.

Quick Reply: Boat towing