Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bottom of Tub - Heat Reduction Substance?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bottom of Tub - Heat Reduction Substance?

Does anyone know what the purpose of this material applied on the bottom of the tub serve as?

My only guess is that it would be some sort of heat reduction glue/rock material.

Anyways, I want it gone. I can't stand the way it looks when some people Line-X their tubs over it. If I took it out, wouldn't the Line-X serve the same purpose?

CLICK TO ENLARGE

I forgot to add a photo of what it seems to be made of when my shoe cut it open. I'll get it up soon. It's made of some graphite/rock type material. Thanks everybody!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am pretty sure its serves as a damper to help cut back on and absorb road noise.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talk about a timely post...

I just took my carpet out and was wondering the same thing.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a noise and vibration dampener. Think Dynomat for car audio. It has no heat reduction properties, look at the coverage.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

LOL! THAT's whats under there? Looks like the X-men's Silver Surfer threw-up back there

So does the stuff lift off? Or need to sand it off?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope this stuff is hard as nails. I installed a 4xfix evap relocator and recessed the holes in the rear cargo area. That stuff is rock hard. you would need to sand for days to get that stuff off. Its not worth it.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Try this

It can be removed by an air impact hammer with a flat blade. Start the blade under the edge, it will pop of in large pieces. if it is real brittle you can rap it with a ballpeen hammer and it will release in pieces, using a thick bladed putty knife on the stubborn spots. Use a thick bladed putty knife so you can tap the blade with your hammer if needed. Tip: Don't try to remove a large area at once, remove it in 1/2'' to 1'' strips, if it is stubborn.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to remove this stuff quite often. You have to kind of feel it out first but sometimes its kind of brittle and can be picked away with a putty knife and a hammer or you can use a de-scaler bit on an air chisel at low pressure. If its the sticky kind of rubbery type then use a coarse cup style wire brush on a either an electric drill or electric buffer/grinder depending on what you have. If you want to spend lots of money on expensive air tools you can also get a Snap On "Crud Thug". Good luck with that...
Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, how I wish they didn't put this in here. There can't be that much of a difference in road noise with it not applied when the carpet it out.

The hammer and putty knife worked quite well on the back area, but it took a long time. Off to rent something from Home Depot.

Appreciate the help/technique guys!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubi-WAC
Does anyone know what the purpose of this material applied on the bottom of the tub serve as?

My only guess is that it would be some sort of heat reduction glue/rock material.

Anyways, I want it gone. I can't stand the way it looks when some people Line-X their tubs over it. If I took it out, wouldn't the Line-X serve the same purpose?

CLICK TO ENLARGE

I forgot to add a photo of what it seems to be made of when my shoe cut it open. I'll get it up soon. It's made of some graphite/rock type material. Thanks everybody!
This is from a document which describes Chrysler's sound dampening techniques for the 2005 mini-vans. It is probably what we are seeing in our JKs.
"From a sound-quality
perspective, the new minivans have
robotically applied liquid spray damping
material on specific zones of the floor,
toe-pan, cowl, and roof panel"

Further research revealed the material converts sound into low grade heat before the sound can be transfered to the air in the cabin.
I suppose any material will do the same, but maybe this stuff is way more efficient at doing so.

Quick Reply: Bottom of Tub - Heat Reduction Substance?