Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BRAKE, ABS, Traction Control Lights (Possible Grounding Issue)

Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE, ABS, Traction Control Lights (Possible Grounding Issue)

Hi, everyone! I am getting the Christmas tree dash light show in August this year. The lights popped on one morning when I hit 10 MPH and have been doing so for a couple weeks. After the first week, my battery started dying every night as well. A little bit of the back story:
A month ago I started getting these lights (minus the BRAKE light) when my speed sensor went out. I replaced it and it was fine for a few weeks. THEN, I was a few hours from home 2 weeks ago and my alternator bit the dust in traffic, spent a house payment to tow it home. Got it home, swapped out a new alternator and everything was perfect for a few days, then randomly I started getting these lights and shortly after it started killing my battery. From the research I've done, I'm certain this is an electrical issue. I know jeeps lose their heads over lose connections and such. I took it up to the parts store and they told me my battery was bad. They also said the alternator wasn't performing 100% (was getting up to about 13.8 - 13.9 at idle).I figured the alternator going out just killed the battery, so I put a new one in. Got it up to 10 MPH and the lights came back on, drove straight to the parts store, they said that battery was dead. I checked the terminals, ground cables, and connections to the alternator I just installed and all is good. I am at a loss. I am going to pull out the alternator and bring it back to have them test it on the machine, but in the mean time is there anything you guys can think of that I can check? Any help or pointers would be amazing right now.

PS: My jeep has no electrical modifications (lights, CB, wench, etc.).

Last edited by Bakemeacake; 08-27-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So what codes are actually popping? Maybe that could direct you towards the issue....a sensor going out or something along those lines.

Test the alternator though- start the jeep then remove the battery. It should keep running because the alternator should handle the load. I've not tried it on the jk but on other vehicles it would rule out the alternator as faulty.

Other than that- make sure your connections are tight and clean- grounds in the engine compartment as well- tight and clean.

You didn't mention (and I'm not getting to your profile) but what year jeep, how many miles, etc.? The 3.6 has funky connectors that need external force while you tighten the terminals.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
So what codes are actually popping? Maybe that could direct you towards the issue....a sensor going out or something along those lines.

Test the alternator though- start the jeep then remove the battery. It should keep running because the alternator should handle the load. I've not tried it on the jk but on other vehicles it would rule out the alternator as faulty.

Other than that- make sure your connections are tight and clean- grounds in the engine compartment as well- tight and clean.

You didn't mention (and I'm not getting to your profile) but what year jeep, how many miles, etc.? The 3.6 has funky connectors that need external force while you tighten the terminals.

I'm not getting an engine code, only an ABS code which I can't read nor can my local stores (really don't want to pay Chrysler $150 to read a code). I know the alternator is working, I have removed the battery and it still runs. However, when I went to the parts store and they hooked up to the jeep their battery tester, they said the alternator wasn't pushing 14 volts (13.9 at best). I figured maybe it's faulty and is shooting up to 15 or 16 when revved and blows the batteries that way (I'm about to yank it off and bring it up to them to test on the machine now). I have looked over the connections and everything looks good to me. I only found 3 grounds, 2 near the battery, 1 on the hood. Are there any others? I have an 07 JKU, 120k, 3.8 ltr, auto.

I appreciate your reply, sir.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Anybody in your area have a superchips tuner? It can read those ABS codes no sweat. I run one in my '10 to pick up wheel speed codes and other specific codes (fog light low voltage, etc).

There are other grounds in the engine bay- should be a couple on each side by the fender and another two up front, by the headlights. I'd be more concerned with a larger ground though like the one that goes to the block on the passenger side. A poor ground from the engine to your battery could cause the alternator to read funny.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Anybody in your area have a superchips tuner? It can read those ABS codes no sweat. I run one in my '10 to pick up wheel speed codes and other specific codes (fog light low voltage, etc).

There are other grounds in the engine bay- should be a couple on each side by the fender and another two up front, by the headlights. I'd be more concerned with a larger ground though like the one that goes to the block on the passenger side. A poor ground from the engine to your battery could cause the alternator to read funny.

Keep us posted.
Good information, karls10jk, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with a Superchips tuner. I did bring the alternator back up to be tested and he said it performed just fine. I can't help but think that it's the issue though since everything was fine before I changed the alternator (unless whatever shorting out is what caused the alternator to go). They recommended I pull the starter and let them test it.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Update:

I bought another new battery and installed it yesterday because my other 2 were bad. I wanted to see if it was the alternator draining the battery, so I took the hot cable off the alternator for the night (normally the jeep would kill each battery over night). I went out this morning and it started right up. I thought this meant that the alternator had a short or something so I swapped it out for a new one and just took it for a spin, but no luck. The lights still come on. Also, in the process of taking off the lead cable to the alternator, it touched some metal and arched pretty good. Around the battery started and smoking and stuff (oops). After I installed the new alternator, the same lights came on, but accompanied now by the battery light. After I shut it off I also got a new code - P2504 High System Voltage. Also, when I pull in the driveway, before shutting the jeep off, randomly the back windows started going down on their own. It never did this before, even with the lights on and the batteries dying. I've read this could be a PCM going bad. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: BRAKE, ABS, Traction Control Lights (Possible Grounding Issue)