Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

brake fluid flush

Old 02-27-2019, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default brake fluid flush

The brake fluid is looking pretty nasty in my master cyl. I know the clutch shares the same resevoir, so what is the best way to get the old junk out without introducing any air into the system? I definitely don't need to be trying to bleed the clutch. A standard 4 wheel bleed until is runs clean ? (keeping an eye on the level in the resevoir)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't know how much fluid is stored in the system. What I did was this: when changing all four brakes, I compressed all the clipper pistons as far as they would go. I then siphoned as much fluid as I could from the reservoir, then filled the reservoir with fresh fluid. I felt like that changed a significant amount of fluid but not 100%.
The following users liked this post:
jeepmojo (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Siphoning is a good way to get that piece of the system clean. I filled the reservoir then cracked the bleeders until I saw clear fluid. Then top off the reservoir and pump the clutch, then I did the siphon in the reservoir. I've changed my shade a couple times now and I don't recall that fluid looking nearly as nasty as the brake fluid. Likely that's because the clutch doesn't see the heat that the calipers are introducing.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Iagree w; Rob Engineer Thats what i do . and call it good ., After all we never changed brake fluids in vehicles years back and never had issues, its all hype to make you pay out of pocket. and or feed the brake fluid company and stealerships .. Its never a bad thing to do , Even on motorcycles but we drove harleys for years and never changed the fluid either and the brakes worked regardless. Hey for that matter you can try and flush your motor oil too until you see clear coming out the drain plug then add your 6 quarts, But your engine may still fail due to poor quality parts in vehicles today

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

FWIW, flushing the brake systems isn't too bad. It takes me maybe an hour taking my time. I purchased one of those Harbor Freight pneumatic brake fluid change its (so you do need to have an air compressor already) and have used it multiple times. The kit is like $32 (I bought it with a 20% off coupon as well). Start at the passenger rear and work your way to the driver front.

As for it being hype.. perhaps... but the older brake systems didn't incorporate such a sophisticated ABS system (if any at all). I call it cheap insurance to flush mine every couple years.
The following users liked this post:
JK Lion (10-08-2019)

Quick Reply: brake fluid flush