Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake indicator light comes on and off

Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake indicator light comes on and off

Just recently, my brake light in the instrument cluster is coming on intermitently. It is solid when on. If I pull up slightly on the e brake, it will go off but comes back on when I lower it. I have not had it stay on forlonger than 60 seconds or so. Usually more like 30.

Any ideas on what this may be? My brake pads were replaced less than 10,000 miles ago so I know my pads are okay. The fluid level is good too.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I went out this morning to turn it on and the light was on again. I checked the fluid again and it was a touch below max. I added some fluid and the light went off. Could that tiny amount of fluid loss make the light come on at random? MY wife drove it to work today and had no issues or warning lights come on.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

The service advisor at the dealership told me that only 2 things will make that light come on....parking brake on or low fluid, which could be caused by worn out brake pads. In my case, my rear brakes needed to be replaced.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my light was coming on intermitently from the fluid being low. turned out my clutch slave cylinder was bad and needed replaced. no light since
Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting the same thing intermittant. I will check the fluid
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

My wife drove it 110 miles today without any issues. Hopefully it was just that the fluid was a touch low. I will see in the morning. It usually only comes on when the Jeep is cold and it is cold outside.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have you serviced your brake system recently by opening a line up at some point? That indicator could also indicate you have air in the system although you would notice an occasional poor pedal response too or loss of brakes altogether. Barring that, you may want to inspect the sensor at your e-brake. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Just tossing out suggestions. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Brake indicator light comes on and off