Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake Pad Upgrade reviews

Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pad Upgrade reviews

I tried searching but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I am due to replace the rear pads on the Jeep. I am debating over going with factory replacements or upgrading to Hawk or EBC.

Based on the threads I've read with the rear pads falling apart in your hands is making me question the integrity of the stock pads.

For those of you running Hawk or EBC, what do you think of them? Would you recommend them? Is there any improvement over stock?

If they somehow create more stopping power, wouldn't that result in more heat?

And finally, should I turn the rotors or just leave them as is to prevent warping? My brakes aren't squeaking yet and the rotors appear to be pretty smooth.

Thank you for all of your help!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed
Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed as well
Old 02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rear brakes were completely shot and down to bare metal. i jus tposted a thread about this, how i upgraded to Duralast Cmax Gold Ultra Quiet ceramic pads. i replaced both the front and rear brakes the front weren't bad but the rears were totally gone and were grinding badly. Didn't hurt the rotor enough to replace them so i left those rotors on. i wouldn't replace rotors unless wsomething was really wrong with it.
and those duralast pads have a lifetime warranty. so no more worrying about brake pads, and no more squeaky stock jk brakes when you're on the road or trail.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't go wrong with Hawk for braking power.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had EBC greenstuff pads and slotted/dimpled rotors on my ZJ before I got my JK. They were really nice. They bit much harder than stock pads from cold and actually increased grip as they heated up. I have heard of many people complaining that the greenstuff pads don't last but I have no idea what those people did to them. I drove the sh!t out of them and they never wore out in well over 50,000 miles I had them on before I ended up trading in for the JK. When I traded it in it looked like there was about half of the pad left on there too, so if I had to guess they would last 80 - 100K miles. Hope this helps

Last edited by tpm152; 02-25-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps I am thinking too hard.

Brakes convert the rotational kinetic energy into heat thus slowing the vehicle.

I am wondering if simply by changing the pads you are creating more stopping power, then there must be more heat being created in a shorter period of time. Is this potentially more harmful than using stock pads on stock rotors?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short answer is yes. With the EBC pads, you will have the power if you drive them really hard all the time to destroy (crack) your rotors with the added heat.

However, if you drive them normally (and stop in distances equivalent to stock pads) your rotors will last just like with stock pads (if not longer due to less metal content of EBC pads being less abrasive). The perks of an aftermarket pad is if you ever need to make a panic stop (doesn't happen very often at all, right?) EBC showed that even from 20 - 0 mph you can stop 8 feet shorter than with stock pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMUYPxD9K4Y

From higher speeds I am sure that the braking distance is decreased even more relative to the stock pads. And the once a month or less heating of rotors beyond what stock pads could produce really won't affect them at all. Plus I don't know about you but I would -much- rather replace a set of brake rotors ($50 plus 1 hour of labor in the driveway) over taking 8 feet longer to stop that just so happens to be occupied by 8 feet of car

Anyway you got me thinking of upgrading my pads and rotors when they wear out so you can find the new 2010 catalog with a good JK selection from EBC at

ebcbrakes.com/Assets/2010-usa-automotive-catalog.pdf[/url]

I would recommend yellowstuff front pads, the greenstuff rear pads, and the GD rotors (if your going to upgrade rotors while you are at it). You will stop on a dime with that combo. They say that the GD rotors are "noisy" but in my experience on my ZJ when you brake you only hear anything if the windows are down. And even then its just a slight hissing type noise (the wife didn't even notice until I pointed it out because I thought it was pretty cool).

I recommend the yellowstuff pads for the front instead of the greenstuff pads because it looks like they reformulated the greenstuff pads to be less aggressive since I had my greenstuff pads. They used to more closely resemble the performance of the current yellowstuff pads.

wow, that turned into a long post... Again, hope that helps

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-27-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: no non sponsor clicky please
Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just replaced my rears with Hawks I got from Jeepswag.com because the price was pretty close to the local auto parts stores lifetime warranty pads. No squeaks, have not noticed much different yet.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Upgrade reviews