Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake pedal issues.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's your brake booster or check valve. The master cylinder is attached to a large round drum and that's your booster. The booster is what provides power brakes to the Jeep.

"HARD BRAKE PEDAL Lack of power assist may be due to low engine vacuum, a leaky vacuum hose to the brake booster, or a defective brake booster. The booster is located between the master brake cylinder and firewall in the engine compartment. Sometimes a faulty check valve will allow vacuum to bleed out of the booster causing a hard pedal when the brakes are applied. This condition can be diagnosed by starting the engine (to build vacuum), shutting it off, waiting four or five minutes, then trying the brakes to see if there is power assist. No assist means a new check valve is needed."
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
You also may want to check that the vacuum line to the brake booster is pushed into the booster completely and not leaking, if leaking this may cause hard and soft pedals.
X2. You are losing vacum in the brake booster. It should hold vacum till the next time you start it. Check for leaks in the booster and hose to it. Also is your steering wheel straight? Your abs will kick in early during a turn if it is off center.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

^^^thats what I was trying to say but typing on my phone is a pain
Old 03-15-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

checked it this morning it takes over 3 hours for the pedal to stiffen up
Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My JK did the same exact thing for about a week. I was just getting ready to look at the check valve or bring it in, when it stopped doing it. Hasn't happened again in over a year and a half, so I'm not sure what the actual problem was.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medic_23387
After my Jk sits for about an hour the brake peldal is so hard you can not push it in at all untill you start it. This causes a problem since I have a 6-speed it will roll untill I can get it started. The brakes have also slipped a couple times while turning. I have looked at the pads and all bolts are good. Any help would be great. Thanks

Why don't you use the E-brake before you start your jeep. You need the vacuum from the engine for the pedal not to be hard.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal issues.