Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake warning light

Old 07-25-2008, 03:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake warning light

I though I could go one month without taking my Jk to the shop..nope. I have had it for 18 months and had it taken in for 12 different problems. Plus 4 or 5 others I wont even bother taking in for like a leaky roof and rusting hinges...

Usually, I read where someone else had the same problem on this forum, but I don't see this one. My dashboard's brake warning light is on. I would ignore this, but coincidently, I have noticed that going down hills my brake pedal disappears and I have to really step into it.

Now, I believe the brake warning light is only for the emergency hand brake, which I have not used for at least a week or so, so why it came on and is stuck, I couldn't tell you, I tried all I could think of to get it to go out.

Did I just happen to notice this brake sinking going down hill? has anyone lese felt it and i just now was observant enough to notice it?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had ESP and ABS lights come on together just driving down the road, I pulled over, stopped, let the clutch out quickly in first twice and hit the brakes hard, turned the Jeep off for ten to twenty secs. and restarted, and they haven't come back on since. I don't know how much help this will be for you, but it's been weeks since..
Old 07-25-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles do you have on your jeep? Remember that brake pad wear is compensated for by fluid volume in your caliper assemblies. The more your pads are worn, the more brake fluid is required to service the brake system. When all 4 pads are worn the brake fluid level in your master cylinder can drop enough to cause your pedal to become ''soft'' and lite up the warning indicator. This can happen at 10,000 miles or 40,000 miles, depending on the stop and go driving you do or your driving style. Downhill driving takes MUCH more braking effort from the system than level driving, because of vehicle inertia. The warning lamp is a CRITICAL item, your jeep is telling you there could be a SERIOUS problem. The lite is primarily for the system warning for you, the park brake is secondary.... please get it checked asap!

Last edited by TINMAN080; 07-25-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake warning light