Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

breaking in the engine?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what ***I*** have always done with new vehicles (YMMV--literally!):

1. First 50 miles, stay below 55-60 mph. Use varying speeds. Don't get on the interstate and set the cruise at 75 for the 50 mile trip home from the dealer. This is for the tires, BTW.

2. First 500 miles, like you're Morgan Freeman. Higher speeds are fine, but don't press for redline, and don't expect top performance quite yet.

3. Change engine oil at 500 miles. In the past I've always found this to be the dirtiest, blackest, grungiest looking oil I'd ever change. On the JK, for the first time ever (I'm 58 years old and have owned more than a few new vehicles), the oil came out looking like new. But, I'd still do it anyway. This ensures that any detritus left over from the manufacturing process is flushed from the engine. Okay to drive at higher rev's, but I'd still be a little bit reserved.

4. Next oil change at 3000 miles. You'll likely notice a significant change in performance. The engine is well-broken in; it ain't gonna get no better (without mod's). Drive it like you stole it (if that's your style).
Hey Mark
Thank you for that information on the run in, will definitely use it. My normal driving style is more Morgan Freeman than flat out (like you stole it). So I'll keep it that way for my new JK.

Zungazi
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to my engine waking-up.

Quick Reply: breaking in the engine?