Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brief engine rattle at start-up

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has a little rattle too. I have just wrote it off as time to prime things. I will investigate more later. This weekend is tear apart KJ weekend. Lol
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by smallz46

Did jeep pay for the new engine? Because I have all the same symtoms but I have an 08 with over 50K miles; if not I think it's time to trade it in for something else, man and I love my jeep.
Mine was covered under a separate supplemental warranty I purchased, but yours should be covered under your lifetime drivetrain warranty.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a filter with a bad ADB valve, the good news is you can swap the filter without draining all the oil first. Be careful, there will be some oil that comes out when you unscrew the filter.

There is no consensus on a "best filter". From what I have read on the forum, for everyone who swears by one brand of filter, someone else say it didn't work for them. I had the rattle when I used some M1 filters. Went back to stock and no rattle since. I have 47k miles, M1 5w-20, drained when the OCI warns me, no loss of oil between changes.

Try this:
Turn the key to "on" but don't start engine.
Let the idiot-lights cycle through until they stop.
Start engine while watching closely for the red-oilcan warning light. (low oil pressure light)
If it flashes ever so briefly, change your oil filter and see if the problem goes away.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the same noise in my 09 and the techs said it was normal and with just over 50k i have had no engine issues and had my oil analyzed after the last oil change and it came back all good with no metals of any kind so i will just live with it for now until i trade it in for a 12 real soon here!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to get this about 1500-2000 miles after my oil change regardless of filters used/tried. In my case, some filters do give up quicker and some last longer. None have made it more than 2k. I run Napa full synthetic oil and have tried several others (M1, Castrol, etc...) as well. Presently my newest plan (which I have not tried yet) is to deal with it by spinning on a new oil filter prefilled as much as possible with oil when I first notice the cold knocking. I buy the Napa Proselect filters by the case (literally) for about $2 each and will just zip one on as needed. Is this pure insanity? Any thoughts on a reason filter check valve could or would be failing? Anyone else have this delayed trouble?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED
i have the same noise in my 09 and the techs said it was normal and with just over 50k i have had no engine issues and had my oil analyzed after the last oil change and it came back all good with no metals of any kind so i will just live with it for now until i trade it in for a 12 real soon here!
12's do it too
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DG1976
....... Presently my newest plan (which I have not tried yet) is to deal with it by spinning on a new oil filter prefilled as much as possible with oil when I first notice the cold knocking........
That's going to be tough to do with the (seemingly stupid) horizontal filters.

There are oil filter relocation kits that allow the filter to be positioned vertically (i.e., transdapt).

But I haven't read any posts about actually trying one.

Quick Reply: Brief engine rattle at start-up