Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broken manifold stud...

Old 07-10-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken manifold stud...

OK, so I was all excited to install my new RIPP headers last week. I soaked all the manifold and crossmember bolts with PB then Acetone/ATF mix for @3 days prior. & As luck would have it, they all broke free nicely except for the last one closest to the firewall. It broke slightly below (inside) the head. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Tried to MIG weld a nut into the sheared bolt. Drilled it out slightly, built it up a little, but as soon as I put heavy pressure on it, it shears off. I don't want to put the heat up too high on the welder as I don't want to melt or deform the aluminum head. I watched every friggin' Youtube video out there on this and nothing suggested works.

2. Drilled out the center and tried a spiral extractor. No matter how much force I use, I can't get the extractor to grab the metal and lock. It keeps spinning. Can't really get a hammer in there to lock it in because it's so tight. I'm afraid of breaking the extractor.

At this point, the extractor is almost at the same diameter of the head so I'm afraid to keep going. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I really don't want to remove the head if I can avoid it... thanks.

Jim
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	651947Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	651946

Quick Reply: Broken manifold stud...