Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broken rear window zipper on JKU soft top...easy fixes? New rear window needed?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rear window zipper on JKU soft top...easy fixes? New rear window needed?

Just bought a used JKU OEM soft top for $350 - great deal, I know. Everything is working great except that the zipper has separated on the left side of the rear window and I really cannot get it back in line. I'm guessing if I just buy a new rear window and rip the existing one off my problem will be solved, yes? Any other miracle fixes out there?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

i worked mine for a little bit with a pair of pliers and dry suit zipper wax. Pretty much have to hold down the shorter side and try to force the other side up through the zipper. The wax helps this and should also make it easier in the future. I have also heard peanut butter works well on the zippers
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's always an auto/marine upholstery shop. Those guys are pretty well versed in crappy vinyl windows and big tooth plastic zippers. Worst case they make a new window or take yours apart and put it back together. It's worth a shot to at least describe the problem and get a quote from them.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know you bought it used, but I would take it to a dealer, not the one you purchased it from, and just tell them it broke. I had the tiny little metal zipper starter on the rear fall off and it was hard to zip the window. The dealers fix was to get me a new top I didn't ask any further questions, just smiled and said thank you.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the zipper fail on my old TJ a few years ago. As long as the teeth are ok, you can get a zipper replacement kit from www.Jeepit.com . Its a piece of cake to replace them.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks all. Some great tips. This Saturday will officially be Operation Zipper Fix. Girlfriend should love that time allocation...
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dave810
I have also heard peanut butter works well on the zippers
i wouldnt use chunky... but it tastes SOOO much better!!!

Quick Reply: Broken rear window zipper on JKU soft top...easy fixes? New rear window needed?