Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C123F + C121A. Clockspring? Speed sensor? Steeting angle sensor?

Old 10-27-2022, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C123F + C121A. Clockspring? Speed sensor? Steeting angle sensor?

I have read the various messages about the ESP light coming on because of a clockspring, steering wheel not being centered, speed sensors, ... My situation is a little different and before I start just throwing parts at it, wanted to see if the same thing happened to anyone else

I will be driving (2014 JKU) and my "Electronic Stability Control OFF" light will flash a couple times. As it is flashing, the Jeep will drop acceleration sharply and lunge (like it thinks you are sliding on ice). After 4 or 5 seconds of that, the "Electronic Stability Control OFF" light will go away and the regular "Electronic Stability Control" light comes on then. The Jeep pretty much drives fine at that point. The light will stay on a week or so, go away, and then a couple days later the entire cycle repeats.

I am nervous of it happening on a highway where it pretty much drops my speed to 15 MPH or so. From what I have been reading, might be a clockspring, speed sensor, steering wheel alignment. It is throwing two codes:
C123F - Steering Angle Sensor Comparative Performance
C121A - Steering Angle Sensor Not Initialized

I cleared the codes and they came back right away.

One thing to note is this all first happened when I was turning and hit a puddle and hydroplaned for maybe 1-2 feet. That was the first time it happened and the cycle has continued since.

It is worth noting that I do have a lift (4" Mopar) and 35" tires. I have had that setup for 5 years or so.
I did just have my rear brake pads/rotors replaced 3 months or so ago

In the past I have had one of my wheel sensors go and that was a different behavior than this - so not sure that is it.
I am leaning towards the fact it is my steering wheel sensor (clockspring), but my steering wheel is pretty darn straight when I am driving straight
When my "Electronic Stability Control" is on: my horn DOES work, my ABS light is NOT on and my airbag light is NOT on.

I have read others who have had similar happen, but either it wasnt exactly what I am seeing, or they never posted what fixed the issue for them
Any thoughts on where to start?

Quick Reply: C123F + C121A. Clockspring? Speed sensor? Steeting angle sensor?