Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Call from Dealership Re Lifetime Power Train Warranty

Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Call from Dealership Re Lifetime Power Train Warranty

Yesterday I got a call from my dealership asking if I still owned the 2009 Sahara that I bought from them. Sure, I said, what's going on? They want me to take it in for the 5 year inspection. I replied it's only been two years and a half since the "In service date", and I will not take it on now. After consulting with the supervisor, the person said that if I do not take it in, I risk loosing my Lifetime Warranty! I told them that my warranty booklet specifically says that the inspection is to be done within 60 days of every 5 years aniversary of the in service date, not before. Do what you want, they replied, this is just a warning of the instructions that the manufacturer has given us with a specific list of vehicles that we have sold, she replied. I'l see you in 2014, I said, and emphatically told her that the manufacturer cannot change warranty temrs midway.

So, you think it's a trick to get me to inspect the vehicle now, and then after not taking it in on 2014 because the inspection was already done, void my warranty? I just don't understand why they want me to go in 2.5 years before I need to!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster
Yesterday I got a call from my dealership asking if I still owned the 2009 Sahara that I bought from them. Sure, I said, what's going on? They want me to take it in for the 5 year inspection. I replied it's only been two years and a half since the "In service date", and I will not take it on now. After consulting with the supervisor, the person said that if I do not take it in, I risk loosing my Lifetime Warranty! I told them that my warranty booklet specifically says that the inspection is to be done within 60 days of every 5 years aniversary of the in service date, not before. Do what you want, they replied, this is just a warning of the instructions that the manufacturer has given us with a specific list of vehicles that we have sold, she replied. I'l see you in 2014, I said, and emphatically told her that the manufacturer cannot change warranty temrs midway.

So, you think it's a trick to get me to inspect the vehicle now, and then after not taking it in on 2014 because the inspection was already done, void my warranty? I just don't understand why they want me to go in 2.5 years before I need to!
Sounds fishy. Call Chrysler and ask them what they have to say. Get people's names and keep a written record. And ask for something in writing.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

sounds like a marketing ploy to get you in and while you wait try to get you into a 2012.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

The inspection is free. I wouldn't take the chance. I would bring it in for them to inspect it. It will not cost you anything. You have nothing to loose, except voiding your warranty if you don't. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course it's a marketing ploy to get you in early. They'll probably "find" something that's not covered and try to charge you for it. Either way, if it's part of the agreement, just do it. Like a previous poster said, it won't cost you anything to go in. Just don't let them talk you into an expense that's not necessary.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank for the replies. I will take it in "witin 60 days of the 5th anniversary of the in service date'. As the warranty booklet says. I'm just curious as to why the pressure to take it in at 2,5 years of the in service date. The warranty does not require that!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definatly call Chrysler and let them know what that stealership is up to.. At least it might keep sombody else from getting hosed..
Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

They want to "find" something wrong that isn't covered, and charge you to fix it. And if you don't pay them to fix it, they'll void your warranty saying you didn't properly maintain the vehicle (by refusing to get the "known problem" fixed).

I was skeptical of these lifetime warranties from the start. Knowing that many (most?) jeepers keep their Jeep for life, Chrysler had to know it would be a money-losing deal for them (at least in the Jeep brand). Now they're scrambling for loopholes.

That's my take on it, anyway - maybe just sour grapes because I bought mine 2 months before they started offering the lifetime warranty...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by undertow119
They want to "find" something wrong that isn't covered, and charge you to fix it. And if you don't pay them to fix it, they'll void your warranty saying you didn't properly maintain the vehicle (by refusing to get the "known problem" fixed).

I was skeptical of these lifetime warranties from the start. Knowing that many (most?) jeepers keep their Jeep for life, Chrysler had to know it would be a money-losing deal for them (at least in the Jeep brand). Now they're scrambling for loopholes.

That's my take on it, anyway - maybe just sour grapes because I bought mine 2 months before they started offering the lifetime warranty...
Sounds fishy...let us know what happens

I too have an extended warranty and there are no expections scheduled that I know of

Matthew
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Bizzare....

Tell the dealer to go pound sand and that you're taking it to a competing dealer for the inspection - see what they say. The Repair Order (RO) is all you need to prove you followed through with service interval requirements.

Any Chrysler dealer can do this ....

Quick Reply: Call from Dealership Re Lifetime Power Train Warranty