Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

CamShaft Sensor Connector Wiring

Old 01-13-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an idiot and left the connector to the cam sensor unplugged and it caught in the serpentine belt and was ripped off. I bought the pigtail connector from Napa but I'm not sure which 3 wires from my old connector to connect to each of the new ones. I tested the old wires and I'm getting about 5v at each of the 3. Does anyone know of have a diagram as to which 3 connect?

I attached a picture of the pigtail I have for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2535839835.jpg
Views:	3379
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	634454  
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Anyoneeeee?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

It would help to know a little bit about your vehicle. Maybe fill out your profile, or put some info in your signature.

Looking at the page you posted, yours is a 2008?

edit to add:

for the 2008...

pin 1 = 5v supply; yellow wire with pink tracer (YL/PK)
pin 2 = Sensor Ground; dark blue wire with dark green tracer (DB/DG)
pin 3 = Sensor Signal; dark blue wire with gray tracer (DB/GY)

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-13-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes it's a 2008. Sorry I should have specified that. So as to which direction are the pins numbered? The colors don't match up to the pigtail I picked up..
Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Yes it's a 2008. Sorry I should have specified that. So as to which direction are the pins numbered? The colors don't match up to the pigtail I picked up..
The colors apply to the wires on the harness from the vehicle. Have you verified the new connector will fit the sensor?
Do you still have the old connector? It should have pin numbers in it. The sensor receptacle may have numbers in it, too.

If not, post a good picture looking into the new connector, with the latch on top. Include the same for the old connector, if you have it. I will see if I can edit the numbers into the photos.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

If I still had the old connector I wouldn't be asking for help. I would easily be able to identify by plugging it in and matching the corresponding slots from the new connector. I'm not sure what you want a picture of. I have 3 ripped wires (from the old connector) and a sensor that's bolted into the block. Yes the new sensor fits everything is good all that stuff. All I need to know is, looking at the sensor from the front of the motor, which wire color goes where corresponding to the sensor from the old connector. So as if you were holding the connector in your hand looking at the red tab that locks/unlocks the connector, which wire color is on the left, the middle, and the right.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

If I still had the old connector I wouldn't be asking for help. I would easily be able to identify by plugging it in and matching the corresponding slots from the new connector. I'm not sure what you want a picture of. I have 3 ripped wires (from the old connector) and a sensor that's bolted into the block. Yes the new sensor fits everything is good all that stuff. All I need to know is, looking at the sensor from the front of the motor, which wire color goes where corresponding to the sensor from the old connector. So as if you were holding the connector in your hand looking at the red tab that locks/unlocks the connector, which wire color is on the left, the middle, and the right.
Trying to help over the internet requires asking what the "helpee" may perceive as dumb questions.

Did you look into the sensor socket to see if the pins are numbered, as previously suggested?

The pins in the old connector were numbered 1 thru 3, from right to left, as you look into the connector with the latch on top.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Yes I am sorry if I came off wrong. I appreciate the help very much. I'm not sure if the plug/ connector both have numbers, but even if they do that won't exactly help me. I would need the wires themselves to be numbered which I didn't see any on them. The connector and sensor match up, I'm just having trouble connecting the pigtails to the existing wiring.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Can anyone take a picture of their cam sensor connector while it's connected showing the colors of the wires? Can't seem to find one on the Internet.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

Can anyone take a picture of their cam sensor connector while it's connected showing the colors of the wires? Can't seem to find one on the Internet.
This picture agrees with the wire colors and position numbers from the earlier posts.

Quick Reply: CamShaft Sensor Connector Wiring