Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Casting sand left in the engine block.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The water jacket in the blocks are pretty plain and simple too ill take a picture and show you tomorrow at work the heads are were there are some small areas for water to flow
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Well,

My jeep is brand new, has about 220 miles on (drive home from the dealer). Based on this thread. I plan on flushing both my engine oil and radiator when I get home. Saving both fluids, and inspecting for sediment...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most antifreeze used in North America is Ethylene Glycol based. Corrosion inhibition for aluminum engine and cooling system components that are in contact with coolant is generally provided by adding alkali metal silicates and silicone to the coolant. These silicates under certain circumstances (coolant with a depleted additive package (worn out coolant), hard water (water mixed with coolant), high coolant temperature, over concentration of coolant (not enough water)) have a tendency towards polymerization, which can cause silicate dropout, or precipitation which can lead to gelation of the silicates in the coolant.When this happens, the interior of the cooling system and engine are coated with a white gelatinous material that significantly reduces heat transfer and slows or even stops the circulation of coolant within the system. This reduction in heat transfer and restriction of coolant flow can then raise the temperature of the fluid to a point where this gelatinized precipitant can turn semi-solid or solid in the cooling system.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

427 block water jacket very simple design

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130314_093657.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	433764

Big holes to get sand out water in

Name:	ForumRunner_20130314_093803.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	433767

Name:	ForumRunner_20130314_093824.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	433768

This just an example not the same as 3.8 but similar design for block water jackets easy to get sand out.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old thread, will flushing out the cooling system help with a new Wrangler I just bought? The idea of ripping out the dash to change the heater core is downright scaring the crap out of me. If I can avoid the situation I'd like too, I'm talking about a 2014, and it seems this problem has been around for a while. I don't mind spending the time. I'll collect and strain what comes out of the radiator, buy the right coolant [expensive] make sure the mix is right after I flush it, refill and bleed it, and tweak as needed.

Thanks!

AD

Quick Reply: Casting sand left in the engine block.