Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Catalytic converter replacement

Old 05-11-2020, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
It's annoying because I didn't want to drop that type of coin at 180k. I may just leave it for 2 years and see if I can get it to pass emissions again in 2 years. No way I'd have it more than 4 more. Im already looking right now with the zombie apocalypse.

Where did you end up finding some CA Compliant cats? My mom runs a 2009 jk with a CEL on for months, 2 different shops have told me it's the cats and $2k for the cat parts. I'm capable of changing them myself, if I can find something CA compliant I would prefer to not drop $2k to my local dealership's part department.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:18 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jonathon Carr
Where did you end up finding some CA Compliant cats? My mom runs a 2009 jk with a CEL on for months, 2 different shops have told me it's the cats and $2k for the cat parts. I'm capable of changing them myself, if I can find something CA compliant I would prefer to not drop $2k to my local dealership's part department.
Did a search out of curiosity, here you go https://www.discountconverter.com/di...&CylSelected=6

About $900 for federal emissions that will work on any JK, $1350 for the cali approved version. How would the state ever know what cat is installed as long as the OBD2 emission motors are satisfied?

Old 05-14-2020, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I didn't find one yet but the post from Mr. T looks promising. Right now I got it to pass emissions, and Im good until Feb 2022. I plan on dealing with this then and I just reset the code every 1000k miles if it comes back.

What's the code? If it's bank 2 I'd spend the $80 and do the NTK and see if it solves it.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Did a search out of curiosity, here you go https://www.discountconverter.com/di...&CylSelected=6

About $900 for federal emissions that will work on any JK, $1350 for the cali approved version. How would the state ever know what cat is installed as long as the OBD2 emission motors are satisfied?

You would figure there is some way they can know if its an CA Cat or not but maybe it's just really the sale of it to those states that is being blocked and the machine can't tell at all. Im gonna call and just see what's up with this company. As of right now my decision is to wait until 2022 and deal with it then. Anything could happen between now and then and even 1000K in a CAT is money I will never get back.

I did buy the KM3 tires and they come in next week. I'll do a full writeup.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Wow thank you very much, $700 less is a big savings and my searches did not turn up this site, I'll give them a try
Mr.T (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EHarris
I didn't find one yet but the post from Mr. T looks promising. Right now I got it to pass emissions, and Im good until Feb 2022. I plan on dealing with this then and I just reset the code every 1000k miles if it comes back.

What's the code? If it's bank 2 I'd spend the $80 and do the NTK and see if it solves it.
I'm not sure the specific code, I did decide that I'm going to give the O2 sensors a shot first though and run a bottle of the cleaner through to try and get it past its Smog. If all else fails $1350 is a lot better for the CAT than $2k.
Mr.T (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure the specific code, I did decide that I'm going to give the O2 sensors a shot first though and run a bottle of the cleaner through to try and get it past its Smog. If all else fails $1350 is a lot better for the CAT than $2k.
Def run a can and change the sensors. I'd log 200 miles before trying to smog it. Good luck. Sea foam worked for me and got mine to pass. Replacing the 02 bank 2 sensors did nothing for me. Make sure to Pb blaster them and let them sit over night for a few nights.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement