Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light - Jeep throwing codes

Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So last night on my way home from work on the expressway my Check engine light came on as well as my ETC light? (red lines with thunderbolt between). I have a 2011 with 7900 miles. I just installed gears, front drive shaft, and sleeves about 300 miles ago. I'm still in the break in period so I was only going 45-50. I pull over and plug in my pro-comp programmer and it shows I have 5 codes on. Here are the codes:

P2181 - Cooling system performance
B3001 - cant find
P25b0 - cant find
U0184 - lost communication with radio
B1a25 - invalid key

So the manual said to shut off and restart to reset the ETC? Light. I tried that with no luck so I drove slow a couple miles and saw no issues. I jumped back on the e-way and got home without any further issues. I never showed a hot temp gauge.

Now today I am again coming home from work and I'm just about off the e-way when the check engine light comes on... But only the check engine light. I pull off again and check the codes and get the following:

P0128 - Thermostat Rationality
B3005 - can't find
U0184 - lost communication with radio
B1A25 - invalid key

Has anyone else had these codes or does anyone know what might be causing this? I can't find what some of the codes even mean.

I did just receive a recall postcard yesterday but it doesn't say what for.

Any input would be great.

Last edited by Stillmotion; 03-04-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default codes

Here is a list of all the codes for a 2007 they should be the same or close to it.

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...rticle-139.htm
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greenhornet
Here is a list of all the codes for a 2007 they should be the same or close to it.

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...rticle-139.htm
That's actually where I looked up the codes I found. But I'm not sure what would cause the cooling codes to pop up like that.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Is your aftermarket radio powerful enough to draw down your battery, assuming it's an OEM battery?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Is your aftermarket radio powerful enough to draw down your battery, assuming it's an OEM battery?
This^^^
Or is your new stereo wired hot all the time? Did you use a harness or just cut and splice your new stereo?
Jk's electrical systems are very finicky and will do strange things with a battery that has borderline health, Have your battery tested, and on any other vehicle I would say your recent install had nothing to do with the coolant issues...but like I said, jk's do weird things when the electrical system doesn't get the juice it wants
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace your thermostat.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

No it was installed properly and with the correct harnesses. It shouldn't be the alarm or radio...

I'm going to take it to the dealer for any warranty work... I just wanted to make sure I could have possibly caused this from something else.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stillmotion
No it was installed properly and with the correct harnesses. It shouldn't be the alarm or radio...

I'm going to take it to the dealer for any warranty work... I just wanted to make sure I could have possibly caused this from something else.
Before going to the dealer, go to the auto parts store and have them test your battery.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 08 just threw the engine light this morning. Installed some led rock lights over the weekend, but spliced into driver side cig lighter, gotta superchips programmer but i might also just check battery health. Also, have not gotten change oil light/chime to stop, turn key to on without starting, pump gas 5x then brake 2x?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by efan450

Before going to the dealer, go to the auto parts store and have them test your battery.
Just dropped the jeep off at the dealer. It started spitting up coolant on me today. Really confused about the whole thing. I'll keep everyone posted

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Jeep throwing codes